Post disk brake upgrade pre duel master question

White Spyder

I did the Rusty Hope front disk brake upgrade and now am looking to install a duel master from ECI. Spoke to them on the phone and the asked several questions and recommended the 1" bore setup with clutch sutup on the shaft for the fluid coupling. He then questioned me about the disk brake conversion I used and the residual valve. I do not recall any thing in the Rusty Hope conversion about residual valves and the master cylinder, am I missing something?

Suggest you ask rusty hope about the residual valves or you might re-read the instructions he sent with the kit. I feel confident he mentioned residual valves and may have supplied them with the kit.

I also suggest you read this thread about ECI.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/20422-krap/?hl=krap

Thanks Don. I do not think I will be ordering. At this point I am just going to replace the lines using the original M/C.

I know that when I did the upgrade I never read anything about touching the M/C and all the work I did was at the wheels. Is there a residual on these old cars? If so mine must not be working as I have been driving since the conversion with no issues. I am only replacing the lines as a safety precaution as the are original and look quite rusty on the outside. Any thought or comments are appreciated.

Edited by White Spyder

I used Rusty Hope's front disc conversion, kept my original master, used a 2# residual valve for the front & a 10# for the stock rear drums.

If memory serves, the stock master cylinder is mentioned in the instructions. I am also pretty sure it has a built in residual pressure valve that is too high for disc brakes. My 49's front brakes drag a little too much and I will be taking the stock pressure valve out of the factory master cylinder and installing a 2lb front and 10lb rear residual pressure valves in line.

• Like 1

If memory serves, the stock master cylinder is mentioned in the instructions. I am also pretty sure it has a built in residual pressure valve that is too high for disc brakes. My 49's front brakes drag a little too much and I will be taking the stock pressure valve out of the factory master cylinder and installing a 2lb front and 10lb rear residual pressure valves in line.

I think you're right. I had my master re-sleeved in s.s. with a slightly smaller bore that utilized over the counter/readily available internals.....with the built-in valve removed.

For what it's worth, I did exactly that in my first generation of mods i.e. Fatman disk conversion.  Worked very well.  

I spent the extra $$$ and bought the dual master set up from AAJ brakes. It was well worth the spend, especially for the added security of having a plan B if one of the masters fail...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I spent the extra $$$ and bought the dual master set up from AAJ brakes. It was well worth the spend, especially for the added security of having a plan B if one of the masters fail...

Did you do a write up on this? Any pictures? I plant to install a front disc conversation and keep the rear drum brakes. I want to install a dual circuit master and didn't find anything on aaj site. Eci makes a bolt in kit but don't know if it will work with old daddy's/rusty hope front disc kit or not.

Earl

Edited by mopar_earl

I have Disc on my 47 stock MC with Valves, my 49 no valves  cant really tell a differnce

Do you still have the stock valve in the stock master cylinder or was it removed?

I've got disks on the front of my plymouth and I don't have residual valves or a proportioning valve and the car stops just fine, my master cyl came off of an 80's diplomat, 1 1/32" bore if I remember correctly. From my understanding residual valves are only needed if the master cyl is lower than the wheel cyls or calipers.