12 volt high torque starter??

michaeljohncourtney

I recently had to replace my 6 volt starter because the bendix snapped and I got a reconditoned 12 volt that fit the same bolt pattern and I didn't like how slowly it started and then that bendix broke too!!

So I'd like to know if anybody recommends a powerful and tough little starter??

MC

I have a late model Denso starter on my 230.  Its compact and cranks the motor like a new vehicle.   The man that I bought my truck from is an engineer. He built a hundred or so of the Denso adapters and had a hard time selling them.  He said that he lost money on the project.  The starter body is the same as on many newer vehicles, only the nose that mounts to the motor is unique.  I might contact him and see if he has any unsold adapters.    It was a good idea but did not catch on with the traditional old car owner.

• Like 1

I've seen a couple starter noses broken and drives break teeth off from timing issues. Basically the engine kicks back against the starter or backfires when the starter is engaged.

I had my 12VDC starter for my '50  B2B 218  rebuilt at a Superior Battery in South Gate / Huntington Park Area { Florence between Atlantic & Pacific Blvds }  $ 55.00 out the door  ( I think I got a deal ).    Rod

Update:

I wanted to thank everyone for their input - I chose to rebuild my 6volt instead of finding another 12volt starter afterall.

I found a guy in Torrance who collects (and collected over many years) old orig parts of all kinds. He is over 80 years old and man - he had an amazing collection of cars and parts.

He had the correct orig bendix in the orig box for my 1947 Dodge D24 Business Coupe

and a core for me to use ( I needed the nose of the starter because one of the ear tabs broke off of mine)

So I'll be putting on the rebuilt starter and rebuilt master cylinder next week and getting backon the road.

thank you everyone

Michael Courtney

Hey Michale,

Glad you were able to get the starter rebuilt, Is the guy in business to sell NOS parts? I am in Torrance all the time ( Parents live there) and I am  always looking for a few parts. Do you have his contact info ? Is this Gentleman's name Allen Mest ?   Do you go to any of the local car events out your way?  Rod

• 1 month later...

Hey Michael,

Any update? Did you find the problem that caused the starter to fail? Any more information about the parts guy, does he sell at local swap meets, epay or does he have a location and shop ? There is a local car event to you in Marina Del Rey ( among others ) on Sundays do you ever make it out there? Hope to hear some of your good new soon, Rod

• 1 month later...

Update:

I found a guy in Torrance who collects (and collected over many years) old orig parts of all kinds. He is over 80 years old and man - he had an amazing collection of cars and parts.

He had the correct orig bendix in the orig box for my 1947 Dodge D24 Business Coupe

and a core for me to use ( I needed the nose of the starter because one of the ear tabs broke off of mine)

Torrance wow. That is cool. That is a good find. 

I always say DODGE and PLYMOUTH are harder to find parts.

Update:

I wanted to thank everyone for their input - I chose to rebuild my 6volt instead of finding another 12volt starter afterall.

So I'll be putting on the rebuilt starter and rebuilt master cylinder next week and getting backon the road.

thank you everyone

Michael Courtney

Who is that guy ? (contact number?)

Thanks this may help a friend of mine. 

Hank