1951 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe Coupe Spitfire (in need of knowledge)

Vermonter

You are so right!!!

I have one (54 windsor 4 door) in front of my shop I just parted out too! :confused:

I'm kind of diggin that front end. It almost has a mercedes look to it (the headlights anyway). If that mercedes was a steroid-popping body builder haha.

Edited by Vermonter

Take a look at the repair section on the Imperial Club website.  They have some good sections including the old film strip style training programs for the techs,  very good section on the semi automatic transmissions.  Remember to chock the wheels of have a good working E brakes as there is no compression braking when the engine is not running.  Sounds like to get the distributor sorted you will need to do a good static timing procedure.  You will want to get a shop manual for your car.  Take a look for reproductions on e bay. In the mean time a visit to you public library might get you access to old MOTOR Manuals in the reference section.  Welcome we passed through your area a couple summers back when we attended the Walter P Chrysler Club summer meet in St. Johnsbury.  There are a couple of members of this forum in Vermont you may want to look them up.

Thank you. The car actually came with a reproduction manual, about two inches thick. I've been reading it like a novel. The car also came with original mopar oil change coupons and vouchers. There's a folders worth of original documentation.

Edited by Vermonter

I was digging around for information on the '51 Windsor Deluxe Club Coupe.... from what I saw, 8,365 of them were made. Not rare, but not bad considering how many sedans were made. 

Something else I saw while digging around raised my eyebrow. "Saratoga"... is that just Chryslers way of saying "it has a hemi"? Other than the engine, I can't find anything that distinguishes the Windsor from the Saratoga.

Interesting stuff.

The 1951-52 Saratoga is a Windsor six cylinder trimmed body and  chassis with the 331 hemi in it. I had one and it was a pretty spunky car to drive with power steering too.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

So basically the Hemi is the only thing that sets it apart from being a Windsor?

Yep...Thats all !

Well how bout that...

Too bad. I was toying with the idea of swapping in a Hemi, but the last thing I want to be reminded of every day is "the Windsor never had a Hemi..." Haha that's fine, I'm good with keeping the car original!

• Like 1

The 1951-52 NewYorker's and the Imperial's use the hemi too but are much more luxurious, have a longer wheel base...longer frame/front nose ,power brakes and more accessories.

They are the top of the line chryslers-the Imperial at the top.

I had some free time on Thursday, not much, but enough time to put on the front badge and ornament. By the time I got them on, I couldn't feel my fingers. It was about 7*f outside so I was quick about it. I tried to get the trunk handle on, but something isn't allowing it to turn. Too cold to dig into it further.

IMG_2715_zps6bd46116.jpg

Edited by Vermonter

Piece by piece (not the Slayer song). Now I see why you're looking for "a" Bulls Eye headlight. Lookin good!

Thanks for the detailed story on your find. I also got a car for free in my 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook. I also have learned lots from this site. You mentioned that the car suddenly stalled the last time it was running, so it looks to me like either the gear that drives the oil pump failed, which would also stop the distributor (thankfully), or the oil pump's own gear.

So check the oil pump.

By the way, I sometimes find a bullseye headlight on ebay for low prices, if not brand new. Plus someone in this forum has written how to transfer a good bullseye lens into a new European H4 type headlight reflector, which allows you to have the same look with a more modern halogen bulb.

And lastly, I appreciated the Squareback pics, I have restored a 65 Karmann Ghia and certainly appreciate these old vee wees. And yes, the flathead engines, and pretty much any component on that Chrysler will weigh MUCH more than the old flat four, I almost killed myself when I dropped my Dodge's rear main bearing cap to replace the rear main seal. That piece alone felt like it would outweigh the VW's crankshaft !

• Like 1

Your grille center "Chrysler" medallion would look like this-   lotsa red and gold as when new.....

AKA.... Pretty car jewelry!

Bob

post-302-0-00052000-1420262085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Bob, do you think that piece can be removed and brought back to life? It would be neat to have one small detail on the car stand out.

And thank you for the kind words, meadowbrook

I could never make an old faded medallion look good but those artistic types sure could.

The medallion mounting base is all pot metal and is brite shiny chrome too.

Medallions and emblems can be made to look nice. Below is the one I did for my '53 Plymouth hood emblem, before and after. You need to have good plastic on the outer surface to begin with and it helped that all the chrome parts, ship, natives and horizontal and vertical lines, were still decent but all the original paint was gone. Many, many coats of Testor's model paint. Did I mention many?? The original also had a grey backing sprayed over it but I did not do that with mine. My plastic is not perfect but from a a few feet it looks just fine. The specks you see in the second picture are gravel rash as this car has original paint.

53PlymouthDriver.jpg

HoodShip.jpg

Edited by RobertKB

Looks good! And I would consider myself an artistic person, so if it's possible, then you bet I will do it!

• 1 month later...

Here's some shots of one of the most impressive engines you'll ever see, so hold on to your seat...

IMG_2792_zpsvjctzyep.jpg

IMG_2793_zpsnfabv14q.jpg

IMG_2791_zpsnuatxwj6.jpg

Edited by Vermonter

I sure like the heater duct!

Fancy, right?

At least everything under the hood matches the car. I'm not quite sure what the previous owner was thinking by cleaning off all that beautiful oil buidup on the engine mount and spray painting it silver... I will have to find a way to fix that.

Nice TS flasher you got there!

You'll have to be more specific, I'm still learning the car. What turn signal flasher are you referring to? The toyota blinkers zip-tied to the grill?