Intake manifold differences?

gtech636p

There's a long story to this, but the short of it is I didn't find the bolts under the intake that go through the exhaust when taking my manifolds off a while back.  I'm assuming this happened then, but it may not have.  At any rate, I have some pretty good cracks in the center "box" of my intake manifold.  Time to find a new one.

What are the interchanges here?  I assume a car intake would work?  What year trucks am I looking for?  Anyone got a spare that they might let go of?

ORR, and secrets on welding this thing?  There's about three good cracks in it, so it would take some time but I'm always game to trying something new.  I have flux core on the welder currently, but I do have a 220 solid core machine waiting to be used.  I'm assuming it's cast, so new techniques are in order... is it even worth the trouble?

It sucks, but it's part of the game. For me at least.

Early cars and I think later trucks have the throttle linkage attached to the intake manifold while later cars have the linkage going across the head. Not sure but maybe the later car manifolds have the bosses for mounting the linkage mechanism but not drilled.

Their may also be some differences in diameter of the inlet over the years so the carburetor may have to match the manifold.

not sure about welding ... maybe brazing? or check the classifiedlasifieds and or the P15-D24 store at the top of the screen?

There's a long story to this, but the short of it is I didn't find the bolts under the intake that go through the exhaust when taking my manifolds off a while back.  I'm assuming this happened then, but it may not have.  At any rate, I have some pretty good cracks in the center "box" of my intake manifold.  Time to find a new one.

What are the interchanges here?  I assume a car intake would work?  What year trucks am I looking for?  Anyone got a spare that they might let go of?

ORR, and secrets on welding this thing?  There's about three good cracks in it, so it would take some time but I'm always game to trying something new.  I have flux core on the welder currently, but I do have a 220 solid core machine waiting to be used.  I'm assuming it's cast, so new techniques are in order... is it even worth the trouble?

It sucks, but it's part of the game. For me at least.

Lets start with what vehicle are you dealing with ?  If it is a truck, then you will notice on your intake and I will attach a picture of a truck intake it has two tabs on the outside of the intake for linkage. Those are not found on truck intakes. Yes the  cracks could be repaired.  Have a look at the attach picture where George Asche takes stock intakes and turns them into dual carb intakes.  But you need to be able to deal with brazing cast and it is indeed an art.  As someone points out they are not super light so there is some shipping involved.

Unless you have someone that is experienced in dealing with cast,  I would suggest you give George a call  814-354-2621

He could give you some guidance , or a price to repairing it.   Feel free to tell him I told you to call

Tim

post-5630-0-12301000-1419641849_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-54422500-1419642005_thumb.jpg

I believe you will find that intake on trucks and early cars. I am running one I believe came off a 35 ply in my truck. Also the 4 bolts that hold the 2 together are 99.9% broken or stuck and rusted so bad that they break so I say you didnt break yours.

welding old cast is difficult at best.  Doing it yourself will most likely result in frustration.  As posted above find a pro who knows how to do it or find a replacement.

yes you are correct early up to 1939 cars are also on the outside.  A 1934 is sort of on to its own. I will attach an engine we just finished rebuilding for a 1934 and a close up.  Then 1935 - 1939 will work on your truck. I attached a picture of one of those on a block

and then it switched to the outside but like this 1942 picture it is on the outside, but the linkage has a bracket that bolts on to the head.

post-5630-0-00677200-1419647509_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-30526900-1419647519_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-07835300-1419647530_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-37267600-1419647552_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

All may not be lost... the outside is craked pretty badly, but thr casting is THICK around that box.  I cannot feel any cracks on the inside and the manifold does hold water when tested.

With that said, I was able to find a replacement one.  

Thanks guys.

• Like 1