Heater switch resistors

wdoland
Go to solution Solved by wdoland,

Anyone know what type of resistors are needed for the heater control assembly? I have a 3 speed switch now and only the "high" position works. Panic in the cockpit the other day when smoke came from under the dash.

It looks like they can be replaced. My parts list has the whole assembly but doesn't list the size of the resistors. Can I make my own up?

1946 Chrysler Windsor

I saw that on ebay. From what I'm learning on line, resistors have a value and you must replace a bad resistor with one of the same value or you could burn up you blower motor. There's no way to find out with a fried resistor or a diagram.

That is th right replacement resistor-one of two.

Your multi-speed switch should need two of these resistors. My 46 New Yorker coupe switch has two of those same part # resistors.

Do you have a single blower motor heater or two heaters?

Dual heater systems tend to have more switch problems if the motors are slow to turn-bearings/ shafts dried up ect.

I have a single heater system, Deluxe Model No. 36.  It's a 3 speed switch that had only had med and high working for me. Since the smoke, I only have high.

This switch (ebay link) looks like mine but it's for a Comfort Master Model No. 53 and I'm not sure if the resistors will work on my switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-40-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-Chrysler-NOS-Heater-Switch-PN-1161571-NEW-/361121829230?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item541489d16e&vxp=mtr

1253055 should be the resistor for the model 36 heater switch... according to the 46-8 chrysler parts book.

Look in the front accessories section of the book- heaters. All the par t#'s are there.

• 3 weeks later...