fuel pump for ethanol gas

larryconnors

It's December here in New England and the P15 is all snuggled up warm in it's bay in the garage. I'm thinking about some 300 or 400 mile trips I'd like to make  next year and I'm thinking about the original fuel pump I'm using with ethanol gas. I think I should at least carry a spare  for when the ethanol eats up the diaphram. What do you folks do? What other spares and tools etc. do you carry for a semi long road trip?

I generally take hand tools, AAA card, credit card and a cell phone.

If I suspect something like a fuel pump won't last for 500 miles then I fix it before I leave. Same thing for any of the other myriad other parts that people seem to want to take along "just in case". I do have a few spare bulbs in a small box in the glove compartment as they don't take much space and I really can't predict if/when a light will burn out.

joe  gibbs racing has a gas  attitive  that  is  suppost to coat  all the fuel  componets,,,and keep batteling the  ethonal and water in todays gas  in  cars not  drivin every day,,,  you can  get it at some  parts stores  or  jegs.  and  free  shipping,,, its pricey  by the  case 60  bucks for  6  bottles,,,,

If I were you I would also pump on an electric fuel pump near the gas tank as a backup.  This way you can still get to a repair shop to tank out the mechnaical pump if it goes bad on the trip.

Also have a spare gas line that goes from the fuel line  connector in the engine bay to the fuel pump  and also a spare rubber oil line.

Rich Hartung

You can get your pump rebuilt by "Then and Now Automotive" in Weymouth, Ma. They also go by the name Antique Auto Cellar. A few years ago they sold rebuild kits and I rebuilt my pump with their kit that has ethanol proof diaphragm and parts. I am not sur,e if they still sell the kits, but I think they still rebuild the pumps.

Is ethanol in today's gas really that bad? I have owned a 1965 VW since 1997 and my 50 dodge for some 6 years now and have never had a fuel issue. Could it be the parts I use are ethanol resistant?

Is ethanol in today's gas really that bad? I have owned a 1965 VW since 1997 and my 50 dodge for some 6 years now and have never had a fuel issue. Could it be the parts I use are ethanol resistant?

There is a reasonably good chance that your fuel system parts have been renewed in the last 20 or 30 years. And if so, then they likely have materials that are resistant to modern gas additives.

all the junk in todays gas  is a big  problem,,the  water in the gas eats the  bottom or  pitts the  botttom  of  aluminum carb bowls,,,and eats at  older gas tanks,,the  tank in my  40 is original,,and  is now rusting from the inside out,,,  lots of  junk in the  new  electric  fuel pump,,and  i just  went  thru the carb,,,  this  comming week  ill be removing the origianal  tank and try  to  decide what to  replace it with ????  a  new  steel tank that will rust how soon ??  a  aluminum  coated tank ?? or  a  poly  tank  if  i find one  that will fit with out a ton  of  mods to  my  car,,,

all the junk in todays gas is a big problem,,the water in the gas eats the bottom or pitts the botttom of aluminum carb bowls,,,and eats at older gas tanks,,the tank in my 40 is original,,and is now rusting from the inside out,,, lots of junk in the new electric fuel pump,,and i just went thru the carb,,, this comming week ill be removing the origianal tank and try to decide what to replace it with ???? a new steel tank that will rust how soon ?? a aluminum coated tank ?? or a poly tank if i find one that will fit with out a ton of mods to my car,,,

This place here:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=68/mode=cat/cat68.htm

Advertises a poly tank for my 1939 Plymouth for 235 dollars. When my original starts to go I'll be replacing it with that. I'm not sure how well it fits but it looks like the original. Maybe they have a poly tank for your car?

I have been using the Marine Sta-Bil in my tank for years. I have also used the Lucas Oil Fuel Treatment. Both have worked very well due to the car sitting in the winter months. I do start it about once a week and have not had any problems with the ethanol fuel we all use nowadays. Both fuel treatments do help neutralize the problems that occur with the ethanol fuels.

a side note:  I purchased several NOS & NORS rubber fuel lines that mount to the fuel pump & frame-mounted fuel lines.  They were very pliable and did not look aged with the exception of the vintage paper labels.  It was a few months after installing one of these on my '48 that I noticed it was coming apart at the crimped ferrules.  I lightly tugged on the rubber & could hear the rubber reinforcement ripping apart.  So off it came, and them other "correct" parts are hidden in a box somewhere in the garage.  I updated to a new fuel injection grade rubber hose with clamped ends several years ago...so far, so good :cool:

• Like 1

This place here:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=68/mode=cat/cat68.htm

Advertises a poly tank for my 1939 Plymouth for 235 dollars. When my original starts to go I'll be replacing it with that. I'm not sure how well it fits but it looks like the original. Maybe they have a poly tank for your car?

thanks for the link,,, ive been looking at those  have  not called yet,,  they list it as 1937  to  39  poly,,and  1941 and  up,,,im sure a 39  is  same  as my 40...the  1937-39 tank  is  7  inches  wider,,the n the  1941  steel  tank,,,if  i go with the  wider  ill have  to  re do  my  electric  fuel  mounting and that may be a problem,,, so  this week its comming out we shall see,,,the  thing  i dont like about there  tanks is  how the  side  fill  tube  attaches to the tank,,bolts on 4  screws ?? how does it not leak ??  ide perfer a poly  tank if   it will fit,,,my  question is  how long will it take for a new steel tank to  be effected by  todays gas ?