Gasket at Base of Distributor

Tom Skinner

Gents,

Can anyone tell me if there is a rubber washer at the base of their Distributor as it is inserted?

I have had my Distributor out to tune up my car before and have never seen one. On my first Chrysler I just tuned it up with the Distributor in the engine, because I was young and nimble enough to reach and see in the distributor - way back when. Anyhow I found a picture of an old Distributor on ebay (attached) and there appears to be a washer/gasket at the base of it. Please advise

Thanks!

Tom

post-403-0-13164700-1418263378_thumb.jpg

My Plymouth used a cork ring gasket but I replaced it with a neoprene O-ring from the hardware store. It works perfectly.  Take your distributor with you and get a thick O-ring that is a good fit, not too tight, not too loose. 

Ditto, exactly what I did.

That gasket comes in the engine rebuild gasket kits that I've seen. My notes indicate that you can buy it separately from places like Vintage Power Wagon. But as previous posted, a reasonably sized O-ring from the hardware store is probably the simplest thing to get.

I looked in my 1936-42 Desoto Master Parts book last night. On my 39 Desoto they do not show a rubber gasket for my years.  They do show a flat metal washer that sits just before the lockdown braket.  This is the same for 37-38-39 Desoto. 

The next seris up on the dizzy has the locking plate bolted to the bottom of the dizzy housing. on the early version the locking plate does not bolt directly to the bottom of the dissy body.

I could copy the expoded view if anyone needs to see a copy as a reference for future repairs.  The 39 Desoto dizzy is an IGS4102 or IGS4102C unit

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com