Master cylinder rod removal

mopardude

Hey there folks,

I've been slowly combing through this vehicle. I can only put in a few hours every week, so what I can do is limited. Anyway, I'm at the point of replacing the master cylinder, and I can't seem to find any reference on removing the rod. The rod I'm referring to is that one that runs through the front of the master cylinder between the clutch and brake linkage. Do I need to have this pressed out of my old one and into a new one? Or is there a way that I can do it without a press.

Thanks for any help.

I didn't see a nut/bolt on it? I just saw a cotter pin and c-clip. It is definitely pressed in there. The part that I was referring to is called the clutch pedal shaft in the parts book and is part number 871975. I'm assuming that it is just pressed in and I just need to machine press it out.

When I took my MC off, I took c-clips off both ends of the shaft, worked like a dog and finally got the shaft out.  It had rusted in, but cleaned up nicely with emery cloth. I greased it liberally and it now rotates in the MC bore.  If your MC is junk, get a BFH and remove the pin. Try not to distort the end where the c-clips go. 

For what it's worth I replaced my MC with the dual master cylinder set up I had AAJ Brakes build. It was a little pricey, but went together well and I like the added security and safety. http://www.aajbrakes.com