1951Cranbrook

Hi everyone,

I have a 1951 Cranbrook 4 door mild kustom. Almost all of the work was done by the previous owner. I am fixing the steering by putting in a Chevy Cavalier unit using the mounting kit from Fat Man Fabs. to replace the junkyard unit that was slapped on. I have to use the r and p to get the linkage around the 350 Chevy that is in it.

The driver's side steering arm has been repaired or shortened, but I don't know which. Is there a resource that would tell me the stock length? Better yet, is there a reliable place to purchase a replacement?

Thanks. My wife really wants me to get the car on the road as soon as possible. She's awesome!

John.

Has the passenger side control arm also been shortened? The previous owner may have saved you some work. I put a Cavalier kit from Fat Man in my 1947 Plymouth. Works fine but the Cavailier rack does not have enough left to right travel length, and the wheels will not turn tightly enough to do a U turn on a city street. Shortening the "control arms," which is what I am calling the short little forged arms bolted onto the back of the brake backing plate, will solve my problem when I get around to it.

Thanks Mark. I'm not sure if the 47 is similar to the 51, but did you have switch the control arms? I know if you use the lowering kit from Fat Man you do, but the passenger side arm only fits the Ford tie rod if I flip the arm upside down. Of course then the passenger arm becomes the driver's side arm.