P-9 Horn Intermittent

Don St Peter

There are two circuits to be grounded.  

The horns get their power from the relay.  Check the grounding of the horns, either through a ground wire or direct connection to the sheet metal.  

The relay turns on when its control circuit is grounded at the horn button or ring.  

You could rig a light to the relay, instead of the horns, so you can monitor the connections without disturbing the neighborhood.  So there are numerous connections to check. 

Also my horn circuit has an inline fuse. I wonder if yours does too? If it's blown the horn obviously won't work. My car is a P8 deluxe so I don't know if the horn circuits are similar.

-Chris

As stated, horn adjustments can be touchy, and should be near last on the list.

1) If you hear the relay you have a good ground at the horn ring.

From there....... things to check:

2)  Use a heavy jumper from the battery to the screw on the horn to see if the horn(s) are OK. Probably are if they sometimes work.

3)As suggested,  use a test light to check for voltage at the terminal on the relay that feeds the horns.

4) If the horn works with a jumper, and you have voltage lighting your test light you then need to clean the connection at the relay, and the horn.

5) If the horn(s) does not work, but you have voltage for the test light try cleaning  where the horn bolts to ground.

6) If you do not have voltage to the test light.   Check for voltage coming to the relay. Check the connection for tight and clean.

The relay has 2 voltage spots. One to energize the relay when you ground the horn wire,  one with voltage waiting to go to the horns when the relay is energized

post-80-0-93794000-1414987414_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

Checked and cleaned all attach points on horns and relay. They seem to work ok now.... but problem was intermittent to start with, so we will see

Thanks for all good input

Don

Hopefully your issue is solved for good. Best of luck.

-Chris