How to remove igntion switch from cylinder

Thomba48

Hi,

I am getting closer to replacing my lost keys :-)

The car is now open - was in the end easier than expected. It is really awful to see how quickly one can actually "break" into a car! 

The ignition cylinder with all the leads attached and the switch insight was taken off (not a challenge of course).

Now, there is one tiny littly matter: Is there a way I can detach the switch from the cylinder without taking all the leads off?

Probably a rather stupid question for most, but then . . .

Thom

not sure if this is the answer to your question?

If you are trying to remove the lock cylinder from the ignition switch housing,

simply depress the small "button" as seen in the slot at the side of the housing and with very little effort the ignition switch will slide out of the housing.

Seems like it was easy to "borrow" a car in the 30's!

Edited by Roadkingcoupe

Okay - rather easy answer to exactly the question I had. Pardon my english, your description of the matter was certainly more correct and precise.

Thank you very much.

thom

To add to the previous info

The little button (pic 1) will not depress to remove the cylinder unless you have a key.

It will move a bit (spring loaded), but not enough.

Removal is done by turning the key to the "on" position, depress button, slide cylinder out.

If you do not have a key, you must grind/file the pin down some (pic 2) to remove the cylinder.

When installing the new cylinder you must manually turn the lock to the "on" position to allow the new cylinder to align, and slide in all the way.

post-80-0-95659300-1414684668_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-45914700-1414684683_thumb.jpg

Edited by shel_ny

If you're really ambitious, you can check online for instructions on 'how to pick pin-tumbler locks' .  Not too difficult to do and it lets you avoid unnecessary grinding on your ignition lock.

And then what do you do???

Pick the lock to the 'run' position, press in on the retaining pin to remove the cylinder, and take to a locksmith to make a key by impressioning. 

Replacement cylinders are readily available for less than the cost of a locksmith :)  3 minute job with the dremel

I guess by picking the lock there would be the advantage of it then possibly matching the door locks, but by that logic one could just pull a door lock and take it to a locksmith for an impression, and hope it matches the ignition.

Also I suppose there would be the satisfaction of having done it.

Edit: and as an afterthought, if you are going to be able to have a locksmith do the cylinder, it would be easier to just take the wires loose and take the whole thing in to get the impression. Of course you would miss out on the fun of trying to pick the lock :P

Edited by shel_ny

Pulling a door lock could be complicated.  On my 47 DeSoto, the set screws on the edge of the doors did not come out willingly.  (Newer models have a retainer clip.)  

Then once the lock is out, it has to go back in with a pilot needle through the upholstered panel, to guide the lock shaft back into into the door lock mechanism.  (My Suburban has Bakelite door panels, which have to be removed for the pilot needle.)  . 

Hi,

I might not aim to go the picking the lock route :-)

As shel_ny suggested I shall take the wiring off and aks a lock smith the make me an impression. By the way, the matter is not getting and finding the cylinder including switch (that offer I was very kindly given) but both my doors use the same key as the ignition. So this safes me from both getting new door locks and taking them out in the first place.

Thom

At the Hershey swap meet, I stumbled onto a set --- ignition lock and both door locks-- with original key that works

all three.    Saving these for a time when I get in the mood to install them.     I don't even have door locks right now--

just have chrome plugs in the door lock holes.   Not too many times I want to lock up the car,  as the bad news is that

someone wanting in will simply cut the cloth top and reach in.  

I believe Thom reached the logical solution to his problem.  

My suggestion to anyone is:  be sure to have at least one extra set of keys, or perhaps even more, to hopefully

prevent this problem.

I suspect Thom will run onto his missing keys sometime in the future. 

I have been re-keying my own locks for years... my 63 carryall,, old motorcycles,, the shed,,and a few I don't own anymore ,, all takes the same key ..made life simple ....take old locks apart ,,put parts in small box with dividers,,by playing with pins like a game ,,it goes together pretty quick.

A few nice thoughts added by all.

I certainly shall have more keys to be made in my next life. I mean, after the new impressions are ready :-) And then hopefully the car shall be sold, so that another one can move into my life :-)

And finally, the worst about this all: I had to realise how really easy it is to break into a car like that, take out the key switch and run away. I have no (I mean really none) criminal inclincations or capacities. But still I managed to get this all done within under 5 minutes. And I must have looked rather weired with this stick in my hand. Strangely enough, this didn't bother any of the bypassers. And there were quite a few of them.

Makes me feel almost unsafe leaving the car somewhere outside.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help.

I wonder who else has had to "steal" their own car for one reason or another. One spring I rode with my parents 120 miles to the storage garage only to realize I forgot my keys. Dad keeps his spare parts there too so we wired in another ign switch and away I went.

Joe Flanagan, on 02 Nov 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

I wonder how many car thieves know how to drive a 3-speed on the column, though. Probably not very many. 

my question is...how many would want to... :) ..face it folks..the industry has evolved to the point this is not longer and that is for a reason..

Joe Flanagan, on 02 Nov 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

I wonder how many car thieves know how to drive a 3-speed on the column, though. Probably not very many. 

The average Joe car thief most likely would not be the one to steal a three tree shifted car but the one who would steal it would know how to drive it as he most likely already has a customer and is familiar with how older cars work.

The average Joe car thief most likely would not be the one to steal a three tree shifted car but the one who would steal it would know how to drive it as he most likely already has a customer and is familiar with how older cars work.

I think that most thieves won't even get to the transmission issue, because they won't know how to start the car!  I've had some hilarious discussions when I've brought in my car for exhaust work or something else I can't do and they want to move the car.

Marty

• Like 1

martybose, on 03 Nov 2014 - 9:44 PM, said:

I think that most thieves won't even get to the transmission issue, because they won't know how to start the car!  I've had some hilarious discussions when I've brought in my car for exhaust work or something else I can't do and they want to move the car.

Marty

What scares me is these young jocks will twist the ignition key off in the switch trying to start the car.