"I" Beam axle swap?

Crewman58

I have just found my late Dad's 1952 DG1 ute in a paddock 44 years after he sold it. I plan on getting it going again, but the complete front "I" beam axle, steering, springs and brakes are missing. My question is...are there any other axle assemblies interchangeable with this ute. I can get an axle from a AB120 International, or one from a AT-4 truck, but I am not sure if they will be totally compatible. It appears that the chassis widths are the same because the distance between the axle/spring centre bolt holes are in line with the chassis. The kingpin/spindle may be higher (meaning the ute would be lower) but this won't be a concern. Has anyone used either of these axles in a half ton ute before? Thanks in advance for your help. 

Welcome to the Forum, No Idea if your "Fix" will work or not . Either way we LOVE pictures of your project

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Crewman. We'd love to see pictures of your late Dad's old truck when you get a chance. I have a couple of good friends living out your way who are always looking out for trucks for me.

In answer to your axle question: I have not heard of anyone here changing out for another front axle, but I do know of a couple of people here in Oz who have modified their original front axle to take disc brakes. Axles are not that hard to come across here. You may well find that the International axle does fit though as they do appear very similar to the Dodge ones. I'll be chatting with a fella up near Gympie about a set of wheels soon, so I can check for you to see if he may have a spare complete front axle.

Best wishes for the build to you.

• Like 2

post-7512-0-00833200-1414453073_thumb.jpgpost-7512-0-53200000-1414453098_thumb.jpgpost-7512-0-64275900-1414453133_thumb.jpgpost-7512-0-69602800-1414453161_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope the photo uploads work. My Dad used this ute in his mechanic business in the 60's and sold it in 1970 when we moved away. The Dodge had received numerous coats of paint by my young brother towards the end of the 60's, (Chinese Red applied with a 2 inch brush and purple from a pressure pack to name a couple). Most of the layers of paint have weathered away, which may be the reason that the sheet metal is in such good condition. Lots of surface rust and dents, but very sound metal all round. There is still evidence of the STP stickers that we applied as kids back then, the exterior ones have faded to a shadow on the paintwork, but the ones in the cab are still in full colour.

The motor, box and drivetrain are all still there along with most of the bolt on accessories such as Starter motor, Generator etc.. It will be a pretty big project, and that shows on my bearded son's face in one of the photos, but he is as keen as I am to breath life back into "The Dodge".

Thanks for sharing the excitement with me, and I look forward to more discussion as we go about the search for parts in the coming months.

Cheers,

Jim.

• Like 1

Paul Flaming where are you??  :mellow:

Time to start lobbying for staying with the patina!  :rolleyes:

DJ

• Like 1

Hi DJ194950,

Thanks for the comment. My son wants to leave the paint/metal patina pretty much as is, and after looking at a few photos of another '52 Dodge with the same weathering I did not take too much convincing. A couple of spots of rust under the tray/tub will be replaced and the surface rust scale will be treated on the hood and guards/fenders, and a few of the larger dents will be pulled. In essence it will have a Rat Rod look. Keeping the flathead and 3 speed and all the original running gear. All glass apart from the quarter glass is still in the car. Priorities are the front axle and steering, then give the engine a birthday, buy some missing bits (grille bars, headlight assemblies and badges etc..) and then try and fire it up.

I am a pretty handy "backyard mechanic" and have a Mechanic (Son) and a Coach Builder (Son in Law) on tap, so any repairs that are needed will be at a minimum cost (Beer). A new tailgate will need to be made, so the English Wheel expert can show me how good he is. My darling Wife is on the team as well, so it looks like I have it snookered. :D

Cheers,

Jim.

• Like 1

Great pictures Jim aka Crewman58,

To me a "Rat Rod" is an exaggerated creation of a traditional "Hot Rod". In your case, I would call it a "Vintage Runner". 

I call mine a "Vintage Mod", cuz it looks like the original truck design with modifications hidden underneth. 

Just thinking out loud, joining the conversation, shooting my mouth off, blah blah...lol. 

Welcome to forum my friend....and keep your amber fluid handy, looks like there's lots to do mate!

48D

• Like 1

Hi 48D,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, it will be a challenge to get it back on the road, but one that I am looking forward to. We have given ourselves 12 months to have it done. I will probably have to buy a donor truck, as I think it will save time and money in the search for parts. Early days, but enthusiasm is up.

Cheers,

Jim.

Hi Crewman,

I'm new here as well so I'll add my 2 cents. I thought most Ute's were on a car chassis, but this is a very cool one obviously built on the pickup. Since the truck has been sitting a while, I'm thinking a donar vehicle is in order. I was shopping for a power train for a speedster project and I found a flathead six and four speed out of a three quarter ton that a guy is converting to a pickup with V-8 power. There are 2 different lengths to these engines ( either a 23 or 25 inch head) depending on the size and in my case in Canada, where they were built. They can both be made to fit in your truck, but it would be less hassle to keep the same length. If you wanted to step up to a 4 speed with the floor shift, they are out there, but don't expect to speed shift with them. Just thinking if you had to buy a vehicle to get running, that may be the easiest answer to your missing axle dilemma as well.

Hi Crewman,

I'm new here as well so I'll add my 2 cents. I thought most Ute's were on a car chassis, but this is a very cool one obviously built on the pickup. Since the truck has been sitting a while, I'm thinking a donar vehicle is in order. I was shopping for a power train for a speedster project and I found a flathead six and four speed out of a three quarter ton that a guy is converting to a pickup with V-8 power. There are 2 different lengths to these engines ( either a 23 or 25 inch head) depending on the size and in my case in Canada, where they were built. They can both be made to fit in your truck, but it would be less hassle to keep the same length. If you wanted to step up to a 4 speed with the floor shift, they are out there, but don't expect to speed shift with them. Just thinking if you had to buy a vehicle to get running, that may be the easiest answer to your missing axle dilemma as well.

Hi whtbaron,

Thanks for the comment. My ute still has the engine and gearbox in it, so finding the right one won't be an issue. I am on a big learning curve with these old trucks, and have found the members on this site are only too willing to help, encourage and give advice. I will be hauling the Dodge out of the paddock next week (where it has been for decades), so the full extent of the project will be revealed. On first inspection it seems very solid, but a good look at the the front of the chassis when we get it out of the grass will tell all.

Good luck with your Speedster project.

Cheers.