Winterizing FEF

ggdad1951

So soon FEF will be going to his non climate controlled winter storage, I checked yesterday and he's good to -25°F but I want to get to -40°F,   Short of hit and miss, thoughts on how much coolant to drain off before adding straight coolant?  

Sadly I he isn't staying in my heated garage all winter because I plan on actually starting the TODD cab this winter and need the space to do so.

So soon FEF will be going to his non climate controlled winter storage, I checked yesterday and he's good to -25°F but I want to get to -40°F,   Short of hit and miss, thoughts on how much coolant to drain off before adding straight coolant?  

Sadly I he isn't staying in my heated garage all winter because I plan on actually starting the TODD cab this winter and need the space to do so.

I don't have it handy but Dad has a chart that tells you how much to drain off and switch. See if you can find something similar.

4o below and in building? WOW! Park it on a sheet of plywood and throw a blanket over the radiator or put a small light bulb lamp under the hood with a timer. Coldest part of the day is sunup. Dad fed cattle so his TRACTORS were first protected. Nice lamp on the block during the coldest part of winter, JAN -FEB he had a lamp on the engines. Always faced them nose out first, big snow storm and he cold dig his way out. I still remember those days. Cattle loved that warm silage in the morning. Cows got hay. Heaters going all the time in the cattle tanks. Good times!

I milked a dozen cows, fed their calves then left for school. My routine from grade seven on. Life is so different today. Oh yes, drove a 38 Chevy truck, no heater, no windshield wipers, and a cardboard floor board. 12 miles to school all gravel/muddy roads. Repeated the milking routine between school was out and ball games. No time to hunt the pheasants that ate daily in the feed lot.

• Like 1

I don't have it handy but Dad has a chart that tells you how much to drain off and switch. See if you can find something similar.

I have, no luck thus far, hence the mind query here!

Paul, I grew up on a dairy farm and understand well.  We had a fuel oil heater for the stock water tank.  Big old contraption with pipes and such and lava rock in the bottom with fuel dripping down and burning to keep it from freezing.

Mark;

Before you start TODD I have a few storage suggestions.

First off do an oil change to eliminate any possibility of water from condensation. Then use a inhibitor product like storage seal. Crank the engine over with the ignition off to draw it in where it will do the most good.

Spray the inside of the distributor with WD40 or similar.

Use a good fuel stabilizer in the tank.

Lube the chassis and use PB Blaster Corrosion guard on the springs.

I would also consider plugging off the road draft tube and tailpipe. Perhaps a clean oily rag in each to prevent moisture from entering.

Remove the battery. Make sure no critters can get in.

And of course put a reminder note in the truck. :)

Jeff

Personally, I'd stay away from light bulbs or any electrically powered devices in, on or near FEF.  Chances are it won't be visited on a daily basis and since mice seem to like cords and wires as well as places to make nests, you don't need a chewed power cord to end up with charcoaled truck.  My experience with light bulbs meant they worked well until the coldest day and then burned out when you needed them the most and there's too much open space on a truck for them to do much good.  Closing the engine bay in would add to the potential fire hazard.

Draining a gallon of coolant out and replacing with pure should put you into a safe zone.  Maybe use a fogging spray when shutting it down for the winter, same as used for small engines, marine, etc.

We expect a build thread on TODD with lots of pictures.

Mark:  I don't think you'd need a gallon.  A mixture of antifreeze and h20 has a lower freeze point than straight antifreeze.   I would think a NAPA or some other dealer would have a chart showing capacities and freeze point requirements-maybe its even on the jugs.   I'd choke it off on MMO or something similar so you don't have valves hang if it isn't going to be run during the winter.   I think with the temps you're anticipating your going to have condensation accumulate regardless of what you do so I'd do the oil in the spring, and put the marine stabilizer in the gas tank and run some through the system before you picket it.   I've also had luck with the Bounce brand dryer sheets to keep the critters at bay, but I'm in my shop almost every day so maybe its just the activity that keeps them out.  Think Spring.  Mike

• Like 1

yah, I figured just drain a jug and fill with another jug of pure.  FEF will be at one of my buddies place in his spare stall (no heat) so I hope to still run him every month and plan on sticking Downy sheets around the wiring/tires.  He hasn't had a mouse problem yet in his garage (as far as he knows), so here's x-ing my fingers on that end.

TODD will just continue on the thread I already started.  If I'm going thru this much work I WILL do something this winter!

one gallon of old coolant removed (50/50 mix) new gallon of pure in and good to -40°F.  Lubed and checked over.  Ready for winter, but hopefully not for a while yet!  My buddy has no mice in his garage, no dropping and nothing for them to eat, so dryer sheets, and potentially moth balls (if he can stand the smell) to protect.

Mark;

;) You do know that you are tempting fate? It always seems that the spot that doesn't ever have mice is the place they go next.

Mice are bad enough.......we have roof rats and they can get in to just about anything. They have teeth like small beavers. Just killed one Monday. I guess it is time to get another terrier....... the owls are just not keeping up.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

4o below and in building? ... I still remember those days. Cattle loved that warm silage in the morning. Cows got hay. Heaters going all the time in the cattle tanks. Good times!

I think I may have disliked bailing the hay more than the shoveling of snow. But it was close.