Fall Foilage

linus6948

I`ve been trying to get some nice pictures of the fall color around here but the weather has not been cooperative in the least. The wind was howling and I was using the coupes heater for the first time in years.

post-4221-0-56873800-1412600977_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-07827100-1412600980_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-54990300-1412600982_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-90386400-1412600984_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-03164700-1412600987_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-66672000-1412601251_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 3

I`ve been trying to get some nice pictures of the fall color around here but the weather has not been cooperative in the least. The wind was howling and I was using the coupes heater for the first time in years.

attachicon.giffall1.jpg

attachicon.giffall.jpg

attachicon.giffall2.jpg

attachicon.giffall3.jpg

attachicon.giffall4.jpg

attachicon.giffall5.jpg

Cool trip, great pictures! - Thanks for sharing, Linus.

p.s.

We do have similar autumn colors up here. Only this week I am afraid the last leaves will drop off.

Discovery channel and big screen TV..fall foliage at its finest...plus unlike life..I can pause it for a moment as I refill my coffee cup..and..I am also helping mother earth by not releasing hydrocarbons into the atmosphere...

Tim,

Quite the opposite: Our hobby is to help mother earth to burn off the fossile fuels!

(Just kiddin', but here in Finland it seems the worst criminals for man made climate would be the hobby car folks!

The gas is 8 USD/gallon, there's an annual tax you have to pay for each car you have (registered), the bigger engine the bigger tax (over 2 liter is considered big! -110cid!), and then the insurance!)

Compare my D24 to average commuter Toyota:

D24 takes 12...14 liters/100kms, I drive 2000kms/a = 260 liters

Toyota takes 6 liters/100kms, driven 30 000 kms/a = 1 800 liters gas burned

Which one is more hostile to environment?

I also love nature and love pure, clean crisp country air like in Linus' trip. However, in my mind my car hobby is in harmony with the nature! Do not argue for something else.

/Pekka

• Like 2

I think I see a tree WAAAAAYYYYY back there!

Yes, it was kind of scary! :P

I took this on Sept 28th, we are now past peak, rain and wind yesterday, wind today with more rain the next two days

Beautiful picture, Bob. I always enjoy the pictures you take on your travels.

• Like 1

I took this on Sept 28th, we are now past peak, rain and wind yesterday, wind today with more rain the next two days

Beautiful picture, Bob. I always enjoy the pictures you take on your travels.

I second to Roberts comment - Always enjoy viewing Bob's "travel logs"...

• Like 1

Well in Ca. we might see some new colors in our forests in the evergreens  (pines, cedars, firs,) --Brown if the drought continues- then black with the fires.

Does that count as trees seasonal color changes?? Seasons may not have the influence in the end! The dead unwatered city trees? :(

My city has won green tree awards in the recent past for the trees the city owns even on my property in town. I cannot touch them...

No end in sight YET!  :confused:

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Well in Ca. we might see some new colors in our forests in the evergreens  (pines, cedars, firs,) --Brown if the drought continues- then black with the fires.

Does that count as trees seasonal color changes?? Seasons may not have the influence in the end! The dead unwatered city trees? :(

My city has won green tree awards in the recent past for the trees the city owns even on my property in town. I cannot touch them...

No end in sight YET!  :confused:

DJ

When I was in the LA metro area there was a Modesto ash in my yard. The leaves on it turned yellow and dropped in fall. I always assumed that the species was native to Modesto so I would have expected you'd have some in your area.

There are also aspen groves in the Sierra above you that put on a nice fall display, though nothing like the reds they get back east.

Wow, they put colors in your bushes?? Cactus is only green or brown ..

:)

I was born and raised in Tucson and as absolutely stunned by the fall colors in Rochester, NY during my freshman year at college.

Near as I can tell, fall is the best season for being in the northeastern quadrant of the lower 48. All the other seasons have issues, though spring is not too bad.

TodFitch,

Yes the Modesto ash was found growing in this area and turned out to be a separate species therefore the name. It's a good shade tree that is a staple in wind and grows at a reasonable rate with medium sized leaves that to turn yellow but not any real nice color.

The city here, Modesto, loved the idea of using only the Modesto ash in all new housing developments in the 50's and forward to the 70's until a disease (dutch elm disease, I believe it is) caused all the ash trees to drip sap, many dead limbs falling off etc. The older well established trees do OK but the young ones are by far the worst. They do have a lot of roots that crack and raise sidewalks, driveways and house foundations if too close. Can cause problems in my area where the trees are mostly 65 years old.

My nephew in Vegas bought a new house and did up the landscape like where he grew up in Modesto-grass bushes etc. Bought a tree for the front yard from a local nursery and planted in his front yard. After several months he realized there was a tag on the tree identifying what type of tree he had bought.  A Modesto ash!

Now the grass is gone and changed the type of bushes are changed to much less water required -drip system etc., but managed to keep the tree!

DJ

Funny, but my wife was sharing how she'd love to see some fall colors, so it was great to share the photos posted so far in this thread. I especially liked those that had member's autos in them.

Sure hope to see more.

• Like 1

Growing up in the 50's on the East side of Indianapolis it was common practice for everyone in the neighborhood to rake the leaves into the street and burn them. Filled the entire neighborhood with smoke so thick you could not see across the street. Of course lots of smoke was common in those days as most houses had a coal furnace.

post-16-0-60046800-1412857823_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

It is illegal here to rake the leaves into the street. That's how it's done in some of the neighboring communities, but here in Waukesha we are not allowed to rake them into the street. We can pile them up on the terrace, the area of grass between the sidewalk and street, and the city will come around 3 or 4 times throughout the fall to take them away. However, I've found that the piles of leaves lay there longer than I'd like and tend to kill the grass on the terrace. So it's just easier to mulch them up with the mower. I'll have to do it a couple more times before winter, but it's less work than raking and it's good fertilizer for the grass.

Merle

• Like 1