Need help with rear end sizing

42coupeguy

I have a 42 2 door sedan. I thought it would be impossible to find parts, after all, they made far fewer than other years.

What I found was, there are a lot of parts and few buyers. Anything specific to that year, like badges, gauges, door handles find few other bidders.

I got all new gauges and a speedometer new in the boxes, dash and grill badges, most everything, all at reasonable prices.

Good luck, it's a cool car.

I assume that you want to put a Ford 9" in because you've updated the engine etc..........first thing decide what size wheels you want to run, use their size & backspacing to determine the rear end width, as there are a lot of different width 9" rears available plus you can get aftermarket ones made to the exact width, also what engine/trans combo are you running as you may not need a 9"......I've got an Oz made Borg Warner Salisbury style disc rear end in my car and its plenty strong so there maybe other options to consider.......andyd

post-612-0-72472600-1410078349_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-06764600-1410078473_thumb.jpg

Thanks Austinsailor,   That's one of the reasons  I saved her, I love it when people say " it cant be a 42, they didn't make cars in 42-45" lol 

where do you look for parts for your 42? know any  good venders? Im needing window felt, glass rubber, better trunk chrome  front headlight housing.

Andy, No eye-rolling please.....I want to keep the engine mopar so ,was looking for a 318-340, BUT I  came across a great deal on a new rebuilt  1970 -440 with a 727 trans.

Im using a Gayle Bridges cross member and  coil over suspension, IFS.    

As for rear wheel, I guess Im going to have pic one. Thought I could wait on that. I want a good wide footprint on the rear but not to wide that I have modify anything. Just a good "old school" look from the back with the chrome duel exhaust coming out the back.

Good point guys. Ive just had 9in on my brain. This is my first mopar go-around, been in mustang land for years. What are the rears like and how much more are they going to cost? Availability?  Can I use the ford wheel bolt pattern on the rear, already have my front in 4 1/2? 

Many people here are using Ford Explorer 95 and up rears that have the disc setup, 4 1/2 wheel pattern...

The Jeep Cherokee XJs rear is a good fit also, 4 1/2 wheel pattern. has drums...

• Like 1