What is this tag for?

Bobacuda
Go to solution Solved by Young Ed,

On the firewall of my B4B, upper driver's side, I found this tag.  It is very thin, soft metal and was attached to the firewall with screws.  There was no paint under it, and the remnants of the original paint on it, and it is stamped with the numbers "5112-210422." 

Anyone have any ideas what this tag was for and what the numbers mean?

post-2050-0-30483000-1409848709_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think are the car side they were called body number tags. Screwed on as they have no legal/registration purpose so they did not have to worry about tampering. On the car side, the format varied over the years and even within one year based on the body manufacturing plant.

I suspect the part of your number prior to the dash is an indication of the body/cab style and the number after the dash is a sequential manufacturing (serial) number.

• Solution

On the firewall of my B4B, upper driver's side, I found this tag.  It is very thin, soft metal and was attached to the firewall with screws.  There was no paint under it, and the remnants of the original paint on it, and it is stamped with the numbers "5112-210422." 

Anyone have any ideas what this tag was for and what the numbers mean?

attachicon.gifIMGP3634.JPG

For the 39-47s the first 2 digits are the year the cab design started(so all 41-47 cab tags start with 41) the next 2 are the cab type. So 12 is probably a closed cab and there should be diff codes or cowl and chassis, or panel trucks etc. The numbers after the dash are a production or serial #.

Screwed on as they have no legal/registration purpose so they did not have to worry about tampering.

thats interesting as in both my fargo and the B2D the serial number vin tag in the driver door post was held on with screws when I got the trucks. Never sure if this was proper or just the PO's but it has come in handy. (having removable Vin tags that is)

thats interesting as in both my fargo and the B2D the serial number vin tag in the driver door post was held on with screws when I got the trucks. Never sure if this was proper or just the PO's but it has come in handy. (having removable Vin tags that is)

On my car and on the others from the '30s and '40s that I've looked at closely enough to notice, the serial number tag is held on with what look like nails or rivets while the builder's ID plate and body number tag are both screwed on.

It was my assumption that the difference in fasteners was due to their legal status, but I could be entirely wrong.

On my car and on the others from the '30s and '40s that I've looked at closely enough to notice, the serial number tag is held on with what look like nails or rivets while the builder's ID plate and body number tag are both screwed on.

It was my assumption that the difference in fasteners was due to their legal status, but I could be entirely wrong.

All the 39-47 trucks I've messed with have the serial #s held on with screws too while my 48 plymouth has rivets. Not sure why the difference?

Same here^^^^.....

Until I took them off when parting trucks for souvenirs :P

post-302-0-25854300-1409976530_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-98159800-1409976579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya