First Long(ish) Trip in my Plymouth

Joe Flanagan

Tomorrow, I'm taking my 49 Plymouth on its first long run. I'm going from Alexandria, VA to Fredericksburg, VA and back, almost exactly 100 miles round trip. I plan to drive mostly on I-95. I'll report on how everything goes.

Today, I took it out and got it up to about 65 for sustained periods and it runs beautifully. It just cruises right along in overdrive. I now have 300 miles on the odometer.

• Like 3

That first 'long round trip' is fun.  I have a perfect test route. It's 45 miles from my house at 300' above sea level to Sequoia National Park. The redwoods are at 6,000'. There is one stretch that of about 10 miles that is taxing. If something goes amiss, I can just turn around and coast home, well not quite but at least to where I can get some help.  I'm working to make that drive the 2nd time with my truck, maybe in a couple of weeks.

Enjoy the day. 

• Like 1

Have fun on your first big trip in your P18 Joe!

A very satisfying accomplishment to say the least! ;)

B4YA Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Thanks, everyone. Niel, 95 is a horror in general. I'll be leaving at 6:30 AM so it shouldn't be bad on the way down there but the way back is another story.

Greg, yes, Rte. 1 is practically undriveable because of all the development. There are stretches that are open and really nice but the rest of it cancels that out ten times over. One thing I have noticed is that people do not seem to tailgate me when I'm driving either the Plymouth or my 56 Chevy pickup. I don't know why that is. Maybe they're afraid something is going to fall off. Anyway, I have loaded my tools in the trunk along with a spare, a jack, and a lug wrench. I'm looking forward to the trip.

• Like 1

Driving your "new" old car is addictive isn't it? :)

Sure even more so for you after the years under "repair" !!

Enjoy,

Doug

". . . may be looking for something to fall off. . ." just gave me an idea. Mount a "bubble head" anvil on the rear bumper of the truck, it's bobbing action would certainly be a deterrent to tailgating! lol

my first long trip with my 48 was from Tampa to Montgomery, about 450 miles one way, never gave any problems. I did run the two lanes though, don't like spinning the engine too fast, I ran 55-65 depending on speed limits. The 48plymouth is scary good, sits for a month, starts up by third revolution and runs sweet. I just want to change the rear gear to something a little faster. I would do the OD but the availability of them seems to have dried up.

I made the trip and back without a single problem. The Plymouth ran like a new car. It's very comfortable at 65 and has no problem doing 70. I didn't push it harder than that. I-95 was basically a traffic jam the entire way, but the ride back was fast. It was like a high-stakes video game but I just stayed in the right lane and cruised. People drive like they are TRYING to get into an accident. For the first 14 miles or so I drove on the George Washington Parkway, which runs along the Potomac and is managed by the National Park Service. It's a very nice ride and trucks aren't allowed. I went to visit a friend who has a 48 Chevrolet Fleetmaster. I'm really pleased with the way this car runs. It's smooth as can be and the steering is straight and tight. 

Getting underway:

Fleetmaster007_zps5211266c.jpg

Cruising on the George Washington Parkway:

Fleetmaster036_zps33056288.jpg

Fleetmaster035_zpsaae0832b.jpg

Fleetmaster035_zpsaae0832b.jpg

Fleetmaster026_zps38a02dad.jpg

• Like 1