Show Your Wheels

Barabbas

Whitewall tires have the white rubber extending somewhat under the black.  Some guys grind back the black to the edge of the white rubber.  I saw on line how this is done, but I didn't try it on my tires.  When I replaced my old wide whites, I did check, on the new spare, how much white was on the new tires.  Maybe 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inches.  Not enough for the trouble.

post-126-0-91900400-1408365469_thumb.jpg

Edited by DonaldSmith

Stock rims (Rustoleum "Radiant Red"), hubcaps, and trim rings with B.F. Goodrich Silvertown 6.70 x 15 bias plies.  (I like the "pie crust" description earlier in the thread ;) )  I know that isn't correct, '48s came with the 7.00s, but I didn't know that when we bought them waaaay back when, and if I remember correctly - guessed at the tire size.  Got them from Discount Tire in El Paso, TX.  Who I believe ordered them from Coker.  (This was before the age of the internet.)  

post-285-0-25419800-1408445411_thumb.jpg

(Above is at Marysville, MI, near where the POC show is this weekend)

post-285-0-05469400-1408445421_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the 1970s, I was able to purchase a local '55 Chrysler that had a set of the factory chrome wire wheels.  The price

was reasonable as it was simply a used car at the time.  So.....I replaced the wires with regular steel wheels and put the

wires on the Plymouth.  Sold the Chrysler.  The tires are Firestone 6.70 x 15 bias ply purchased from Coker a few years ago.  

Of course, today, it would be nice to still have the Chrysler New Yorker hardtop with Hemi and continental kit spare.

January2011330.jpg

DSC09404.jpg

• Like 3

And - just as information.........Chrysler Corp also produced a non-chrome, painted wire wheel as well.  They used the same

chrome center cap as the others.

I had to buy a 1954 Plymouth Savoy four door to get these wheels, which I need to have media blasted and painted.

100_8297.jpg

That car had been sitting since 1983 in some people's back yard.  

100_8113-1.jpg

Back in the 1970s, I was able to purchase a local '55 Chrysler that had a set of the factory chrome wire wheels.  The price

was reasonable as it was simply a used car at the time.  So.....I replaced the wires with regular steel wheels and put the

wires on the Plymouth.  Sold the Chrysler.  The tires are Firestone 6.70 x 15 bias ply purchased from Coker a few years ago.  

Of course, today, it would be nice to still have the Chrysler New Yorker hardtop with Hemi and continental kit spare.

January2011330.jpg

DSC09404.jpg

If anyone else wants a set of wire wheels last time I was out at French Lake Auto parts they had 1-2 sets sitting on the wheel rack.

• Like 1

Very Classic--is your car as stock inside as it looks in these pictures?

Not quite.  The interior is the same pattern as original, but in burgundy.  The seats are corduroy.  Quite nice, but starting to show its age (I just realized I don't have any photos of the interior, either :eek: ).

Neglected to mention, that location in Marysville is spitting distance from the Wills-St. Claire Museum that's part of the POC event.  Lived in the area for five years and ran past it almost every weekend, but never figured out just what it's purpose is, its an old-fashioned glass dome.  Very photogenic.

We tried to paint white walls on a friends car way back when (like 40 years ago).  My memory was that the paint never really cured; it was always a bit sticky and attracted dirt like a magnet.  Does the Krylon work reasonably.

I like the Hub caps, they remind me of the Ben Hur chariot race

Old Goodyear blackwalls, 1 can of krylon fusion satin white....

Now that is bordering on genius.  I've used that Krylon fusion paint on various things - it seems to stick to anything and everything and doesn't take a whole day to cure.  I'd be interested in how it holds up.

gallery_4055_2_1359568683_80.jpg

Stock wheels and hub caps. Beauty rings are 1970's Chevy rally wheel. I like the beauty rings because they hide the wheel next to the tire and all you see is the painted center.  Tires came with the car and  were in good shape so I never changed them.

I bought a old wheel pin striping tool off of ebay and striped the wheels myself. The tool is one of these units that has the serrated wheel and small jar of paint. This is attached to an adjustable length arm that is attached to the center of a hubcap. You jack up car, attach hubcap with tool to wheel, adjust tool length, touch tool  to  the wheel, spin tire and you have a pinstripe. You can the adjust arm out to create parallel strips. Took about 5 minutes for each wheel. The tool was made in the mid 50"s . Instructions say to go to used car dealer with an assortment of hub caps that have pre drilled center holes so you can attach tool to a hubcap that fits  the car and make lots of money.

Edited by bobostski
  • Like 2

Being a hotrodder I like mag wheels, big tyres  and chrome wheels & wide whites.......varoom..............andyd

post-612-0-77706300-1409045424_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97535600-1409045529_thumb.jpg

• Like 1