Steering Column Grommet (i.e., dust seal)

BHondle'40

It is my understanding that some time ago a number of members, including myself, had posted inquires with regard to locating a 1940 steering column grommet (or dust seal, or toe-board draft seal, or whatever term is the proper vernacular).  While the steering column grommet for the '41 was available, the one for the '40 is entirely different and was not available.  However, I located a source for the 1940 grommet and would be happy to share the contact information.  I attempted to attach picture of the one made for my '40 P9 but could not reduce the file to get it below the 1 meg maximum file size, sorry.  If you send me a PM with your email address then I can use my Outlook email and send you a picture of the one I was able to obtain.

Thanks, 

Bruce

• Like 1

Thank you, Rich and Greg, for your suggestions in getting my pictures to this forum.  Unfortunately I injured my knee before I could get back out into the garage to take pictures at a different resolution, so I was constrained to try the website Greg suggested to reduce the picture size.  After registering I uploaded my pictures to the site (while selecting the option to save them in a format to be send to a bulletin board).  

If I have done everything correctly, you will please find the pictures as follows (and I believe all you need to do is either click on the .jpg below, or enter the name in your browser and it will connect directly to the picture):

DSC03331.jpg

DSC03333.jpg

DSC03334.jpg

DSC03332.jpg

DSC03337.jpg

DSC03336.jpg

Thank you,

Bruce

(edit by moderator to have images show in post.)

My thanks to the moderator for embedding the pictures into my last post.  Just two additional points I would like to make with regard to the grommet (i.e., seal) that was molded for me.  

First, please note that the steel core is not embedded in the grommet shown in the above pictures, at my request.  In my particular application, I do not wish to remove the steering column or the shift lever column because I don't want to disturb my paint job on the steering column.  So I am going to have to make a slit in the brand new grommet, put it in place, and glue the slit back together again.  However, the new grommet is surprisingly sturdy even without the steel core in it.  Just to let you know, the steel core of your old grommet can be incorporated into the mold for the new one.  

Second, I requested that the new grommet be brown in color.  However, the new grommet can be made in a color other than brown.  I sent a couple pictures of my existing dash along with my order and the actual color of my new grommet is slightly darker than what is represented in the above pictures, due to using a flash when I took the pictures.  I wanted to use the flash to illuminate the subject as specifically as possible even though th use of the flash somewhat distorted what the color looks like to the eye.  

Bruce

I apologize for taking so long to respond to this thread.  

First, in answer to "JD Luxury Liner", the 1941 steering column grommet (as I refer to it, anyway) is on a previous post to this board under the topic "1940 Steering Column Mask."  

Second, for those individuals who might be in need of the 1940 steering column grommet, Gary Goers has an on-line catalog (PDF) and you will find the 1940 steering column grommet in his catalog as Part #249 (located on page of his catalog #10, which you will find on his website, referenced below).

He can mix the material for the mold in different colors, and I sent him two pictures of my dash so that he could get an idea of the tone of brown that I was using.  While he responded by advising me that he would do his best to match the color from what my dash looked on his computer screen (since it is not like seeing it in person), I am very pleased with the color.  

Further, he can incorporate the steel core of your existing grommet into the mold for the new one, so you will need to ship him your old grommet along with your payment (and estimated shipping).  However, as my prior post indicated, I decided to have him make mine without including the old steel core because I have to cut it to install it since I do not wish to dismantle the steering column and disrupt the paint on the steering column at this point.  However, the grommet appears to be sufficiently sturdy in my humble opinion, even without the steel core, so I do not believe I will be disappointed with my decision in that regard. 

Here is the contact information for Gary Goers:

Address = 37 Amdahl Lane, Kalispell, MT 59901

Website = www.garygoers.com

email = gary@garygoers.com (however, Gary has told me that he MUCH PREFERS FAX over email, due to the amount of spam that he gets).  So I highly recommend that you fax him at (406)752-6249 with any questions you might have, or his Order Form.  While he does communicate by email, he doesn't always see legitimate emails that he receives due to the spam with which all of us seem to be plagued.

While Gary has a helper I can see (when I visited his shop) that he is very much a "hands-on" individual who appears to have more than enough work while at the same time battling with health issues.  He has a blog on his website that explains the health issues he faces, so please be patient with his time schedule.  

I hope this information will be useful to all.

Thanks,

Bruce

• Like 1