Breather Cap Cleaning

Using gas for anything other then its designed for, is crazy.

It's explosive and will ruin your day, if not your life, in a heartbeat.

Kerosene is flammable but closer to a lubricant than an explosive.

Solvents/Cleaners in general are blends that are meant to be used with specific result. Misused can be trouble.

Acetone, when soaked in a rag and left in a pile somewhere, has the ability to ignite on its own (autoignition temperature).

Some Brake Cleaners, used to clean metal before welding, can release a deadly gas when in contact with argon that can kill a man in minutes. (Phosgene)

Bleach and Amonia create a toxic gas (chloramine) 

With all the specific solvents and cleaners out there.....use the one that is designed or reccommended to be use.

In this case Kerosene like Davin's post states.

48D

• Like 2

BAH!  I used some gas and burned it out just fine...tapped out the burned out crud, repainted and good to go....not much gas really to cause an issue if you burn it off on a piece of concrete street curbing.

• Like 1

BAH!  I used some gas and burned it out just fine...tapped out the burned out crud, repainted and good to go....not much gas really to cause an issue if you burn it off on a piece of concrete street curbing.

Yah...but we already know you're crazy!....lol

48D

Good point Tim..most folks do not take the time to read labels...MSDS label is a huge awareness program on use, side effect and cautions while using a product.  Phosgene is a concern highly stressed safety issue with HVAC service folks and where I first leaned of the dangers..as I have never in my life bought a can of brake cleaner or carb spray thus was unaware of anyone using it as a pre welding spray..one never can be sure the next guy will take any precautions when using any recommended product even if that is the only suitable product for the job...

On the fire department we considered statements like that to be job security!

• Like 1

On the fire department we considered statements like that to be job security!

considering it was 25+ feet from any structure....I think I was ok...;)

I think insurance companies would love to hear that statement after your house and garage burned down.. B)

I did some welding for a neighbor and some gas caught on his snowblower...but that's why I have a nice fire extinguisher on hand in the garage.

You could try soaking it i a Gunk type degreaser and then rinse with hot water.  I've used the carb cleaner for this for this in the past with good results. 

Using gas for anything other then its designed for, is crazy.

It's explosive and will ruin your day, if not your life, in a heartbeat.

Kerosene is flammable but closer to a lubricant than an explosive.

Solvents/Cleaners in general are blends that are meant to be used with specific result. Misused can be trouble.

Acetone, when soaked in a rag and left in a pile somewhere, has the ability to ignite on its own (autoignition temperature).

Some Brake Cleaners, used to clean metal before welding, can release a deadly gas when in contact with argon that can kill a man in minutes. (Phosgene)

Bleach and Amonia create a toxic gas (chloramine) 

With all the specific solvents and cleaners out there.....use the one that is designed or reccommended to be use.

In this case Kerosene like Davin's post states.

48D

Plus 1 on the BAH. Geeze Tim I thought you are a country boy. I'm talking about a cap full (1/2 oz) of Gas. But yes it should be done in a sand pit or a gravel driveway and certainly not in an enclosed area around other flammables. We're not talking about the aircraft fuel you use in The Brick, just plain ol' gasoline.

City Slicker !

Hank  :lol:

• Like 1

I bought a brand new one from Napa.....think it cost less than $10. No need for a fire or nasty chemicals.There is a bonus with a new one too....when they are nice and shiny inside it is easy to tell how well your crankcase ventilation is working.

Jeff

Jeff where's the fire bug in ya ?  ;)

The neighbors can share the fun with you!

The fire dept. will love ya with the drought conditions and extreme fire conditions!  :eek: 

DJ

You might also want to look at cleaning the filter at the back of the block too Matthew. There were different breather tube filters used on the different truck models. The rear crankcase ventilator on the 218 motor in my 52 truck is pictured in the attached photo. I pulled it apart and gave it a good clean with petrol, and then oiled with a light oil and re-installed it.

post-3915-0-48967100-1407579465_thumb.jpg

• Like 1