new airtex fuelpump

greg g

I fashioned a cobbled up retainer from a piece of plumbers tape (the metal stuff for hanging pipes) that wraps around the body of the carb and covers the pin location.  Since the pin can only walk out from the large end, this piece should prevent it from moving far enough to fall out. there is a gap of about .010 between the tape and the pin on both sides.   I will keep my eye on it and see if it starts to back out with usage.  

OK:  So i just got off the Phone with Art Gould concerning your issues with the pins coming out of the housing. He stated that he is not seeing this as a major issue and is not getting alot if any complains about this issue.  He has stated that sometime they levers and the internals might get colged becasue of old fuels and then you get problems.

So went to a good source and they are not seeing this as any type of issue.

Also they stated that if you feel that youmight have an issue you can contat them and they wil work out a way to insure that they pin willnot come out of the housing.

Art Gould   Arthur Gould Rebuilders ● 5R Main Street ● Kings Park, NY 11754 ● (631)269-0093

Rich HArtung   Desoto1939@aol.com

If it happens once to me it is a major issue. How many times must this happen to become a major issue?

• Like 1

IF a roll pin fits they are generally hollow.  If that is the case we used to use wire as a safety retainer.  Soft wire in a loop circling the non moving arm and carefully tied.  A finer wire depending on hole size

A roll pin is something I would do, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. The roll pin is made of spring steel and could be harder than the arm. I wouldn't want to wear the hole out of round because it would shorten the stroke a bit and maybe even cause it to snap. Use at your own risk. As I said, I would do it and keep an eye on it. But then, occasionally, I run the engine without a carb top! 

OK, for the guys that have had Airtex fuel pumps and the pin has worked its way out of the body what did you do?  Did you make any effort to contact AIRTEX diectly or did you take the pump back to a Sotore to get a new pumps since the airtex are guanateed.

If you did not Contact Airtex with the issue and send the pump back to them then they do not have any kind of record of the issue.  A phone call just asking about th epin is not like sending the pump back to them to look at the defective FP. 

So contacting Airtex should be the forst thing after the pump has goone south because of the pin would be my first suggestion.

I donot have an aswer to the issue but if a pump went bad for me like that I would be onthe phone with their tech reps.

So we have heard from about 6 people that have had this issue. We have alot of other members that have similar FP in their cars so lets hear from some of the other members with their replies.

Rich HArtung

• Like 1

customer feedback still works..albeit slow it seems...I know for certain my calls have made changes and for the better...the store will often exchange the part but the failure does not get the proper attention it needs..upon arrival most companies have a crew dedicated to sort and tear down with only the numbers set aside for rebuild shared with the company...this will not reflect a defect back to corporate on the average..and even so often it falls on deaf ears..mid management is a buffer to stall off heat from above when it comes to situations of this nature..

• Like 1

Gentleman,

I have been a Toolmaker for the past 50 years and had to press in pins on a great many jobs. I had never had a press fit failed due to the hole getting smaller. Many of the jobs were put under greater stress then a puny fuel pump. I just had a pair of fuel pumps rebuilt in New York due to inferior material that would not work with alcohol. I installed one of these pumps in a '48 Plymouth Coupe. Never examined the pump when I took it out of the box, it went straight into or on the engine and that is were it is after 6 years.

1948Skip

• 2 months later...

i had two failures with the pin working out of airtex pump called airtex they have not heard of problem maybe more calls to airtex will help. I am ordering pins as  dan suggested but with cotter pins instead of clips  i will post results