Turkey Spotting in a D24 Coupe

linus6948

I had my coupe out for an airing after Dinner and ran across a trio of Turkeys out for their evening constitutional, big healthy birds all of them.

post-4221-0-57707500-1406768321_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-50999700-1406768341_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-13747100-1406768584_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-34992500-1406768617_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-23097900-1406768707_thumb.jpg

Those turkeys wouldn't have a chance in seattle....the homeless would be having them for dinner in a split second :lol:

• Like 2

Hmmm....you guys up north spot turkeys strangely- down here, when a gobbler is spotted, several shotguns reports are the first indicators, then and only then are the pictures taken- just kidding of course! :-)

• Like 1

We've had the turkeys become so plentiful, they've become a nuisance and unwanted guest on the  farms from the amount of crop damage done and are still often seen around dairy farms, especially in winter following the manure spreaders across the fields, gleaning bits of undigested corn.   Squirrel population has dropped to almost none where the turkeys are.  Some places, deer so thick they looked like cattle in the fields.  One particular trip at dusk, in a 10 mile stretch had counted over 200 visible in the open areas and fields along the highway.  As often and as excited as most people get over seeing bald eagles, they're pretty common here so the locals don't get too wound up when seeing them.  I've had coyotes in the fields hunting field mice when I was raking hay, red tail hawks catching snakes, at one time, years ago, a black panther lived in the area, long since gone, we have the occasional black bear wander through and what I think was a gray wolf, once.  The turkeys are and coyotes I suspect, are a reintroduction by our DNR and are somewhat suspect in the black bears and now, reportedly, are attempting wolves.  Coyotes have decimated the grouse, quail and rabbit populations as well as killing off the pheasant reintroduction project.  I haven't seen a quail or heard a grouse drumming in over 25 years now. 

Misleading? I thought the Turkey pooped on the seat when I read it. :) Just kidding.

Have never heard of coyotes being re-introduced, kind of don't think so. Sometimes bears are re-located, which can have the same effect as reintroduction. I do believe that wolves have been reintroduced in WI., as they have in Idaho and Washington, which has turned into a mess.

Where I hunt, they have been re-locating grizzlies there for years, now it's a "Grizzly Recovery Area". I don't mind that, but the wolves have totally un-balanced the nature. The Game department recently tried to shoot down a whole pack from the air, which I think is really gross. I'm a hunter and a gun-guy, but that just ain't right.

ken.

• Like 1

The bears here are relocations in my part of the state. State has had black bears in the northern parts forever. It took 2 attempts to get the turkeys started. The first attempt, turkeys made it a couple of years at best, the introduction site only a couple miles from where I lived. Second attempt was with a different variety, from Missouri I believe and the coyotes showed up shortly after. They hadn't been seen before, that I knew of and they starved out the gray and red fox population. There's a few red foxes around again now but sightings are few and infrequent at best.

While riding motorcycles on the Natches (sp?) trace with friends we witnessed a very large tom turkey chasing a deer.  They were running along the side of the road in front of us until the deer jumped over a split rail fence leaving the turkey behind.  If I didn't have witnesses, I would never tell this story.

I often see deer and turkey together...more than just coincidence. I'm just guessing they kind of help each other "look out" for predators. ??? Just a "wild" guess.

In that mental picture...was Don chasing his dear?

ken.

The Wild Turkeys seem to do pretty well in my part of Pennsylvania, plenty of White Tails and way too many Black Bears and Eastern Coyotes which are a hybrid cross between Grey Wolves and Coyotes. They look a lot like German Shepards, I had a small pack of them around my place a while ago but I finally shot the Alpha male and the group broke up. I have a couple hundred game camera shots day and night of them coming in to gnaw on a "Coyote Popsicle".

post-4221-0-10740700-1406902831_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-78576000-1406902879_thumb.jpg

There are 5-6 HUGE turkeys that run around NE Minneapolis by my house. About a year ago I was trying to head into the bakery at about 5:30 am and they chased me down the sidewalk(at a slow pace). I had to take the long way around to get my donuts.

Is there a season on your coyotes, or are you allowed to shoot, poison, trap them when they bother you?

They are such a problem in PA Frank that you can hunt them 24hrs a day, 7 days a week and you can hunt them over bait and use spotlights, basically anything goes and the Coyote population continues to steadily grow.

I just hope you can get those spots out. Last turkey I assassinated (with a Brown Bess flintlock musket) sure tasted good. Just baked it way slower than a store bought one.

ken.

• Like 1