What would you do?? - 52 COE Project

As part of my test run with my 52 this evening, I drove by the COE again. This time I knocked on the door of the owners son's house. No one was home though or they just didn't answer. I will try back Saturday or Sunday. I looked at the truck closer, and it is definitely all there from what I can tell. I opened the door quickly and everything is complete in the interior. It even has dual sun visors like my 52. I feel dumb that I forgot to check the vin tag again  :mad: . Next time I will get a picture of it. 

found a whole bunch of COE's yesterday that are for sale...(three Dodges) plus many many more larger trucks 1 1/2 ton and larger..couple 1 tonners....had stopped by a fenced in compound to snap a picture or two ..man pulled in behind me and said I could do a lot better if I drove around the fence and went in the gate and walked around..gracious host and a large inventory..the Diamond T was one of my favs

• Like 1

I sure like that 2-1/2 to 3 tonner Dodge 10 bolt!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The difference is that they aren't in a barn......they are in a lot.....which means the price will be higher and a chance at a the super bargin barn price is not gonna happen. Its not that nobody wants them, its just not the same as when you find it kinda hiding and wanting to be saved. 

Or am I just a stupid romantic? lol

I have 4 big boys (no COE's) all saved from the local barns around here.....

48D

post-340-0-25369800-1406967903_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-75118700-1406967971_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-78151100-1406968183_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-36180000-1406968756_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Big trucks are like tractors, for those with lots of room and money. To me they are very interesting but no inviting. The family still has Dad's '56 Ford COE. It is licensed and ready to go to work, just turn the key and start it up.

a full complete big Dodge COE with all the trimming on it and engine etc etc for 3500.00 you dreaming if you think you can find it for less I am thinking..

but as I have no real interest in these I have not much to go on as far as market value and such...but a barn find is just what these are..only relocated..the indigenous rats and snakes and other vermin not included on the average but if still there at no extra cost to you ..(extermination process excluded)

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The difference is that they aren't in a barn......they are in a lot.....

48D

What I hear is that if I bought one for three grand off a lot, drug it home and put it in a barn, I could easily sell it for doubly the money just because I can say it is in a barn? Sorry 48D, I don't buy your logic.

• Like 1

actually the thought is that the barn find is truly a secret stash uncovered from the sleep of time and that being lost and forgotten so will the realistic value of the find and thus the walk away cheap is the thought...

mind you that I too do dream but normally during the night hours with my eyes closed and normally they are rarely but ever related to rusting metal..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

.....the barn guy isn't always trying to make money, rather see it go to a place where it'll be appreciated.

The 1938 I got for 300 bucks because they were tearing down the green houses where it was sitting for the last 25 years. he called me and said if I come get it, its mine. I gave him 300 bucks as a gesture.

The 1947 was under the torch...I stopped the kid cutting it up. He had pulled it out of the shed to make room for a new tractor. He was planning on scrapping it for steel. I said "I'll give you 300 bucks and pull it out of here". I knew it was a long shot. He called me a few days later and sold it to me.

The 1949 dump truck was sitting in front of a barn for 15 years. I left notes asking if he wanted to sell it. He wanted more than I had. A few years later he sold his ranch, called me and said he'd have to pay to have it hauled off.....so if I gave him 500 he'd be happy.

The 1955 was similar.....the guy was 2.5 hours away and knew about the BBQ through Bob Koch. He said he used it to haul trash off the ranch he bought, since the truck come with the ranch. But when he was done with it, he wanted it gone, but not scrapped. If I would come and get it, the truck was mine, otherwise he had no choice but to scrap it. It took me a few weeks, but I got there and hauled it home.

I'm not saying that Joe is gonna get his barn find for nothing, but what I'm saying is that there is a romantic side to saving an old truck from the crusher or from the torch of a kid. If I didn't have the space, the time, the truck, and a trailer......all four of the trucks would be gone, instead of being appreciated by a bunch of truck guys every April at my house.

48D               

post-340-0-68968200-1407014685_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48dodger

Tim I really do know what you are talking about...HOWEVER...some any here are not proactive enough to go looking out in the country and barns and such so are left to getting their leads from forums and other venues of supply like CL, E-bay and local newspapers or swap meets...to them they are missing out and in my opinion they should well pay the cost of cruising the countryside, the bartering process between finder and buyer and the ultimate cost of preparing it to roll regardless if or if not in running condition..the disinfestation of vermin to make the car attractive to a new buyer and getting the paperwork necessary to make the transfer...yeah...let them pay through the nose as they should...these folks doing this are not in the business to make the deal sweet for the lazy but to make it profitable as they are ambitious

I went back again this evening, and I was able to talk with the owner. I spent about an hour with him talking about the COE, and he is a very nice guy. He said his father bought it new and it has been in the family ever since. He told me other people have tried to buy it for a rat rod or to chop it, and he wouldn't sell to them for that reason. He told me it is for sale for someone who wants to restore it, so I gave him my number to call once he decides what he wants to do. All I know is that I don't want to see the barn fall down on it. It's in the last standing part of the barn, time isn't on its side. Hopefully he will give me a call and I can figure something out.

Condition wise, the truck appears to be 100% complete. I didn't see anything missing. It was parked there around 1980 and hasn't moved since. It is a B3 JM 161. I think it has an 18' tilt flatbed on it, maybe a 16'. Under the hood everything is there, even the updraft carb. It does have some rust on it though. The cab between the door and the wheel well is pretty rotted on both sides. It also has the normal door rust in the bottom of both doors, and  the drivers door sags bad probably because it was used by the driver to get in and out. I was able to meet a couple new critters living in the truck also. They just made their way to different areas while I inspected their home. It was very cool to see how the COE were made and put together. One thing I found interesting is that the hood is two pieces that were spot welded together in the center and that's why they put the stainless trim down the center of them. Another neat thing was the front panel. It is the same panel used on all the trucks, but they used the hood to cover the entire top of it. The Dodge script is on the hood but the mounting holes for it are still on the front panel as well. It would make a very fun project to get it back on the road again! 

I do have a question about the brakes. It has hydraulic brakes with a slave booster I believe. Are parts available for these yet? Can you still obtain wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, and etc. for these big Dodge trucks? I have no experience with older large trucks and I don't know the availability. Hopefully someone on here can answer this. 

Edited by 52b3b Joe

Chassis parts can be expensive and hard to find for the medium and heavy duty dodge trucks. Wheel cylinders probably should be sleeved. Best way to deal with them.

The booster is a Midland single diaphram and can be rebuilt. Booster Dewey or others can do it..

The front brakes are 16"X2-1/2". The rears are 16-1/2 X 3". Can only be relined.

You are in another arena when doing a bigger truck. You will need more cash to do the mechanical for sure!

The engine is a 250 Ci. Ther rear end is a single speed, trans is a 5 speed- could be a H-duty crash box or optional lighter duty syncro unit.

Bob

Joe I REALLY hope you get it soon. ..I worry about that shed. Barring tons of money I'd offer to buy it now for a future full restoration but I think you have your sights set well in advance of me!

I think COE's are so cool and hope you can save it.  I was after an old windmill from a farm in my township that was falling apart. The barn was just about ready to fall and I stopped different times to ask the farmer if he would sell.  He always had a firm "NO".  After 3 years of asking and telling him that when the barn goes it will crash right into the windwill and then no one will want it, including yourself.  I explained the windwill will stay in the township and he can come anytime to look at it.  I even went as far as telling him my shed on the hill has a fridge with beer in it, help yoursef.  He finally agreed I could have it and I took my crew and a Genie lift to bring it home.  4 Monthes later the barn came down and just as I thought laid right where the windmill was.  The point of my story is, so enthusiasm and stay after him, explain that if the barn comes down in a high wind the truck will not be able to be saved then. 

Good Luck, Todd B

• 3 months later...

Whatever happened to this Joe?

I wonder the same thing....

The owner hasn't made any attempts to contact me, and I've tried stopping over there with no response. I don't know what the owner is planning, or if he simply does not want to part with it. It is still in my mind, and I want to see the truck go to someone that will save it. I hope it makes it through the winter without the barn falling on it! I just bought a house, so there is no way I could take on the project financially, and I have no space for it even if I did have the extra cash. 

I wonder the same thing....

The owner hasn't made any attempts to contact me, and I've tried stopping over there with no response. I don't know what the owner is planning, or if he simply does not want to part with it. It is still in my mind, and I want to see the truck go to someone that will save it. I hope it makes it through the winter without the barn falling on it! I just bought a house, so there is no way I could take on the project financially, and I have no space for it even if I did have the extra cash. 

Joe, have your bride ask your dad to keep it at his place for a "short while"..... work it brother! threaten him with grandchildren! :D

Edited by Brent B3B

Joe, have your bride ask your dad to keep it at his place for a "short while"..... work it brother! threaten him with grandchildren! :D

Lol, I wish it was that easy! There is no negotiation with him on something like that, no matter who is asking!!! The garage is full right now with our 48 Desoto project car torn apart and my half finished truck, so there is still no room! 

• 52b3b Joe changed the title to What would you do?? - 52 COE Project