What would you do?? - 52 COE Project

While at the WPC convention the other week, a guy informed me of a COE 53 flatbed that was about 25 minutes from my house. It really got me excited after talking to him for a while, so I took a drive with my 52 two Sundays ago (when it was running good) and checked it out myself. I didn't take a great look at it due to it being in a falling barn, and there were "No Trespassing" signs everywhere, BUT the truck is all there, and it looks very straight from what I can see. All the one off COE trim is on it, the drive train is in it, etc. I wish I could have opened the door to see the VIN tag but I didn't want to wake up its possible residence. The truck does have some significant rust from what I could see from a distance. I really want to save it, but like a lot of things, the timing isn't the best. I have not talked to the owners, but the guy I met in Detroit had spoke to them in the past about a price. From what he told me, the price is definitely right! I have the means to move the truck, but it would have to sit outside for a while before I could do anything with it. I just don't know if I should leave it be or try and buy it. I am getting married in about a year, and I am looking for a house. I don't know when I could get to wrenching on it if I did bring it home. What would you do??? I'm kinda leading towards getting it, parking it, and saving it for later, but I want other opinions. 

Also, can someone tell what size it is? I'm not good once you get over the 1 tons. 

Here are some pictures, the last one is the barn it is in!!!

EDIT: I think it would be cool to shorten it down and make it into a COE semi and add a 5th wheel plate. 

post-3516-0-04397400-1406685384_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-09165400-1406685392_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-25603100-1406685400_thumb.jpg

post-3516-0-75348800-1406685563_thumb.jpg

Edited by 52b3b Joe
  • Like 2

Get it!! The opportunity to buy one of those doesn't come around every day, and there are ways to preserve the state its in now, even without a solid roof over it. I'm sure if you passed another member would step up, heck if it wasn't so far I'd put my name on the list

Looks to be a JM or KM COE... six lug nuts=2-1/2 tonner.

Bob

Dang Joe......GET IT!!!!!!!

I've been chasing dodge trucks for quite awhile and I have yet to see a COE that anywhere near that complete.

Good luck!

48D

Wow   what a find!!!  He who hesitates  kicks himself forever for not taking a chance LOL.  You don't want to be telling this story years from now saying I had a chance to buy one of those years a go, and did not do it.  If you never finish it, those are a easy sale for someone else either way it gets saved

while unique they cannot just be hidden out of the way like a smaller car during the rebuild period..and with that in mind, you got to ask just how practical is this purchase and if there is a use for it other than just having it.  It is not hard to get caught up in the moment and results can be less than expected after the puppy arrives home...waiting and thinking is a sign of some acceptance early that it is just too much and thus the very act of kicking the tires begins.  Happiness is when you realize that to your relief it was purchased while you were mulling it over.  Buying for resale can be a very good option/opportunity but only when the entry price is such that turning a profit is feasible.  Gremlin were cute but don't get them wet or feed them after midnight.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

Don't buy it. Where is it located? :)

what Don said!   

Seriously, even if you have to put a tarp over it, GET IT!  You have no idea what I'd do to get something like that if I could!  I keep thinking "someday"...and its a B3/B4....sigh...

I could well justify this COE if it were to be converted with a roll back bed..make a good retriever and anyone in the business can write if off and as such be a win win situation..  Couple COE's in this area..they are owned by a roofing business...often they are parked as advertisement on the job location they working at the time...pretty sure they bring the supplies to the jobsite..roofing and paper but that is about all I am thinking..never actually seen the trucks with a load on them..

I told a guy who does larger truck about the truck below..he drove down and I introduced him to the owner..they struck a deal...hassle moving that big a rig but shortly after getting it..it went downriver on yet another truck trade..he aid it turned out to be a bit more than he was ready to tackle after getting it home..

post-19-0-00818400-1406724209_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

GET IT!!!!

Take highest bid from all the advisers here who have been wanting one! :D

GET IT!!!!

Take highest bid from all the advisers here who have been wanting one! :D

don't tempt me!

imagine a tip bed with a which hauling FEF to Todd's luau or Tim's BBQ!

• Like 1

Part of my searching for a cab for my '50 B2C is going through Craigs List.  

By accident, I found the attached on Seattle Craigs List.

Maybe it can help someone here.

I have no affiliation with the seller.  I did call him to see if he could help with a cab, but no such luck.

Anyway, here's a photo.  He's asking $3k

Now,, if one of you accidently finds a nice '50 cab with no rust,,,,,  ;)

Paul

post-7134-0-00675700-1406738767_thumb.jpg

Joe, since the title of this is "what would you do"... i would now do what you said, ".... I'm kinda leading towards getting it, parking it, and saving it for later"

starting a new family and owning a house can put some of these projects on the back burner. But you have experience of a restoration and if you have a place to store a new project.....(pop's house :) )

Go for it!

i often read the builds threads on this site and justify to myself,  "they must not have a family or have retired and have the time ... etc" (most cases i know are probably not true, but i need to justify my snails pace :D ) 

look forward to the pics and the process.

And don't sneeze while moving it out of that house of cards...

No joke...it could be interesting. If I can strike a deal with the owners and the title is good, I think I'm going to hire a local tow truck company to haul it for me if they can. It would save me a lot of time, stress, and effort. 

Joe, since the title of this is "what would you do"... i would now do what you said, ".... I'm kinda leading towards getting it, parking it, and saving it for later"

starting a new family and owning a house can put some of these projects on the back burner. But you have experience of a restoration and if you have a place to store a new project.....(pop's house :) )

Go for it!

i often read the builds threads on this site and justify to myself,  "they must not have a family or have retired and have the time ... etc" (most cases i know are probably not true, but i need to justify my snails pace :D ) 

look forward to the pics and the process.

Cross your fingers I can get it! Ya got one thing wrong though!! My dad would shoot me if I brought that to our house!!! It will have to go to my future in-laws place or to the farmer I bought my 52 from. I'm sure either one of them wouldn't mind. 

• Like 1

I say go for it Joe! Looks too good an opportunity to pass up to me.

It took my wife a while to work out that my truck 'hobby' had become a 'habit'.

We have a saying around here: "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" :D .

• Like 1

I might know of a real solid dry climate 1951-53 COE in eastern washington . Probably not real cheap-not running.

Update.... Just a 2-1/2 ton B1 or B2 regular cab truck.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 52b3b Joe changed the title to What would you do?? - 52 COE Project