1948 Plymouth Starter

Mike

Does anyone have info on the 1948 starter. I think mine might be a little warn and either need replacement parts like brush, armature, and such. I'm kind of looking for a repair kit or replacement but I'm not finding anything from parts places on line. its a 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door coupe if that makes a difference with original motor partly converted to 12v. I plan on rewirning the system to all 12 volt minus the reducers needed for the gauges. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mike: Since your system has been converted to 12v I am assuming that they put a 12 volt generator in the car. Can you look on the generator to see if there is a plate on the main body of the generator.

The plate should tell you the model number of the generator and also the generator manufacturer such as autolite. Also need to know if this is a postive ground or was the car convert to Negative ground.

If you have this information then you should bebale to contact an Alternator/Generator repair shop and they should bebale to help get the parts and also beable to checkout th eunit to make sure it is in proper working order.

For anyone to help to tell you the appropriate brushes and other parts they will need to know this information. Also there are bronze bushings and specific bushings fit specific generators.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

it was changed from 6 volt to a 12 volt alternator.  :( I think I just found a site though Kanter.com.  looks like they have starters

Don't know from your post what problems you may be having that make you feel that you need replacement parts, but as you plan on going 12V your best bet would be to take it to a local auto-electric shop for a rebuild with a rewind for 12V application.

Don't know from your post what problems you may be having that make you feel that you need replacement parts, but as you plan on going 12V your best bet would be to take it to a local auto-electric shop for a rebuild with a rewind for 12V application.

Well I just bought a new 12v battery 600 CCA and I went to try to start it and it cranks slowly (almost like a dead battery) and then there is a little smoke near the starter solenoid and wires are warm to hot to the touch.

Thanks robert ill squeeze under it soon and take a look at it.I just got the cars from my grandfather it been restored once already so I have no clue what all it has on it as for electrical.

The biggest problem with starters is the rear bushing wears oval.  This allows the armature windings come into contact with and drag on the field coils.  The drag demands more power to overcome the fiction, causing heat and extra resistance.  A simple bushing replacement may be all that is needed for your starter to work efficiently.  Additionally since 6 volt systems require 2x times the current flow of 12 V, the 6V starter will work without problems on 12 V.  the starter itself is ground neutral and will not spin backwaards if connected to negative ground.

it would appear that you are pulling way too much current...only by putting an amp meter on it capable of almost 600 amps can you tell..(usually these are shunted meters for diagnostics)  a dragging armature will put a load on the battery and will practically drain one in about 15-20 seconds..I do not know what the actual current will be if running a good 6 volt starter on 12 volts...you may have to do the test with a good 6 volt battery and shunted meter first...it it busts out of the high range per the book...you need to address this issue..12 volts will not give you the information you need to make a valued diagnosis, only a WAG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Converted to 12V negative ground a few years ago & still using the original 6V starter without any problems.

• Like 1