Proper Brake Fluid

rfcr
Go to solution Solved by Conroe Powdercoating,

Hello All,

I have been seaching the forum back 32 pages and can not find the one on what type brake is best for a 1946 Plymouth with stock brakes. I just received a rebuilt M/C, changed all the lines, replaced the shoes and wheel cylinders. I know the answer is somewhere but just can't find it.

The real answer is What did the prior owner have in the brake system. If the prior owner was using silicone then you should stay with silicone. If they were using Dot 3 then Dot3.

Dot 3 was the original brake fluid but some people have switched over to Dot 5 or silicone brake fluid.

So mixing the two is not good.

To switch form one to the other you need to flush the entire brake system with denatured alcohol. replace all rubber components in MC and Wheel Cylinders and brake hoses.

So need to determine what was used in the system prior to just installing DOT3.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

The real answer is What did the prior owner have in the brake system. If the prior owner was using silicone then you should stay with silicone. If they were using Dot 3 then Dot3. . .

Just about the answer I was going to post before I noticed that he has all new lines and cylinders, so he really does have a choice. :)

I went with DOT5. But if I were to do it again I might go DOT3. Pros and cons for both.

• Like 1