People's thoughts on new style thermostat

James_Douglas

I wanted to hear what people think of the new thermostat's that one can get from places like NAPA versus the original style thermostat's.

The original style thermostat when it opened closed off the bypass ports.  The new style ones with the brass adaptor do not.

What we get with the new ones is a constant percentage of the water NOT going through the radiator.  With the original versions all of the water goes through the radiator when the thermostat was fully open.

I would like to hear what people think of this difference.

Best, James

Edited by James_Douglas

Hi Don,

That is what I am talking about.  The new ones send a % of the water around in a circle. The original MOPAR versions closed off the by pass when the thing is full open.  I noted some "vintage" Harrison versions that just used holes so the by-pass was always open like the new ones.

If you look around ebay you can see all the different versions.

What are you thoughts on the different versions from a circulation and cooling view point?

Best, James

I put a new style in my 49 230 & haven't had any problems. I haven't put a lot of miles on it but I've driven in mid 80's in a parade & pulled some hills in 4th gear. In the parade it got up to about 200 so I think it works fine.

I suspect that on any one particular engine that it would run a little hotter with the modern replacement thermostat as some amount of water is going to bypass the radiator.  However, it may be a difference without any distinction as the amount may or may not be noticeable.

It does seem that Chrysler thought that having the bypass open all the time was not a good idea however as evidenced in the write up I found on the Imperial site.

James

post-60-0-55533600-1405101429_thumb.jpg