Voltmeter Question

jim6346

Hi Everyone,

I recently did A 12v upgrade on a 48 Plymouth. I used a new 12V generator and regulator, changed out all the bulbs, etc. Everything is working great, except the voltmeter. It is the stock meter and does not show charging. When I turn on the lights, the needle dips.

Any suggestions? The charging system seems to be working as the car runs and drives with no issues.

Thanks,

Jim

A 48 Plymouth does not have a volt meter unless an aftermarket gauge was added. The factory installed an amp meter that shows the charging rate. My best guess from the information you posted is your charging system is not working.

One additional thought. Did you switch polarity to negative ground? And if you did so did you reverse the wires on the back of the amp gauge?

My apologies, you are correct. It has the stock amp meter. It is a negative ground system and I did reverse polarity on the meter

as part of the conversion. The needle goes negative when I turn on the lights or het the brakes.

Is there an easy way to check the generator or regulator to make sure it is outputing?

Thanks,

Jim

OK, I disconnected the wires to the generator and ran the test shown in the above diagram, got zero out. It is a new BBB 9112 generator, which is supposed to be

a good one. Is it possible I got a bad one?

OK, ordered a new generator and after "polarization",  I now get 35V out of "A" with "F" grounded, while disconnected from the regulator. As soon as I 

hook up the regulator, I get about 1.5V out of the generator. I traced the wires from the generator to the regulator and they appear

to be hooked up correctly.

I quickly grounded "F" while the car was running and the generator jumped up to ~18V output, with ~!6V on the output of the regulator.

I only did it for a few seconds, was worried about damaging the generator.

Any thoughts? I also tried grounding the case of the regulator, no luck.

Thanks,

Jim

OK, ordered a new generator and after "polarization",  I now get 35V out of "A" with "F" grounded, while disconnected from the regulator. As soon as I 

hook up the regulator, I get about 1.5V out of the generator. I traced the wires from the generator to the regulator and they appear

to be hooked up correctly.

I quickly grounded "F" while the car was running and the generator jumped up to ~18V output, with ~!6V on the output of the regulator.

I only did it for a few seconds, was worried about damaging the generator.

Any thoughts? I also tried grounding the case of the regulator, no luck.

Thanks,

Jim

Sounds like you've proven your regulator is not working.

• Like 1