Steering box

51cambridge

I just got this 51 cambridge with a built up slant 6. The steering box seems damp at the bottom with a small drip. Where do i check & refill. Want to make sure it isnt dry since it steers just fine.

Thanks ( can see car in my signature)

^^ ha! Don with the warm welcome.

Very cool car, how does it run?

do a search and you will find the info on the lube spec, various options used by different members. I dont have a service manual but my 51 cranbrook steering box is accessed through the top via a small plug, the one closet to the frame, the other cap is the adjustment screw.

Timothy

Edited by Conroe Powdercoating

There is a hole/port/plug where you can add fluid. There is, might be, should be another thingie with a lock nut and a slotted stud, which is for adjusting the play in the steering. Don't take that out!

I filled mine/Lumpy's with STP oil treatment, and have never had a problem or leak, and it steers great. I don't drive it when it's really cold, so I'm not sure if it would be a problem in temps well below freezing. I've used STP in other cars as steering box oil/fluid with no problems...but that's just me.

Obviously....putting STP in any kind of power steering application wouldn't be good. !!! Whatever the manual recommends would be for a nice new, fresh steering box, and you may want to use something heavier if you don't like the STP idea.

ken.

• Like 1

I thought the steering box is a place where the sun never shines....oh wait...never mind. Was just looking at those pics of your car, very cool. After much and many discussions over engine swaps, and looking at all the different swaps and swap possibilities, I've kind of come to the conclusion that the slant six is the way to go, if one was really not happy with the flathead...I for one love my flat six. But if one HAD to do a swap, it makes a lot of sense.

Anyhow, nice car. What are the thingies on the headlights, and how do they work, what is the lighting like with those on?

k.

There is raised a 5/8" hex fill plug next to the bigger 3/4" adjuster cap cover plug. Remove only the 5/8" fill plug to add a heavy thick lube of your choice-85/140 ect.

Bob

Thats a purdy nice rust free 2dr cambrige ya got there!. You even saved the original floor mat!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the steering box is a place where the sun never shines....oh wait...never mind. Was just looking at those pics of your car, very cool. After much and many discussions over engine swaps, and looking at all the different swaps and swap possibilities, I've kind of come to the conclusion that the slant six is the way to go, if one was really not happy with the flathead...I for one love my flat six. But if one HAD to do a swap, it makes a lot of sense.

Anyhow, nice car. What are the thingies on the headlights, and how do they work, what is the lighting like with those on?

k.

Please refrain from calling the Flat HEAD six a 'flat six'. That is to be reserved for Porsche or Corvair engines. :)

Sorry, my other car interest is VW's and other air cooled (properly cooled) engine vehicles. :)  :) , that sometimes comes out :wub:

Please refrain from calling the Flat HEAD six a 'flat six'. That is to be reserved for Porsche or Corvair engines. :)

Sorry, my other car interest is VW's and other air cooled (properly cooled) engine vehicles. :)  :) , that sometimes comes out :wub:

Don't forget the LL Bean vehicles power plant.