I'm lost

mrbobs48

Installed all new original 6v wiring from RI wiring. Its great to have brake and taillight and headlight. Everything works except it won't start. Turn key hit button and click click click and the it shorts out. New solenoid, battery, cables new light switch, had the starter build 2 yrs ago. Ground from frame to body. Ground body to motor and ground neg cable. All cables are new 00. What the heck??????

Check to see that all connections are tight.

You can bypass the solenoid with a jumper from the battery to the starter. Just a quick touch to see what it does Car out of gear when you try it.

Is the solenoid grounded???  Most self ground to what ever they are attached to.  If you have new paint under it, it may not have sufficient ground to engage fully.  Or the obvious questions, is your battery fully charged? are the cables tight on the battery post?

My positive cable runs from the positive terminal of the battery to the lower part of the block. A local old timer gave me a tip that quite surprised me with regards to my lighting brightness. He had suggested I add a cable from the positive side of the battery to the fender bolt.  After so many years, current connection points can become less effective and this did make my headlights brighter.  Good metal to metal connections are essential in these old rigs.

When I had my custom battery cables made I specified 3 connection on one end; the primary ground was to the starter bolt, with separate pigtails to the frame and the body.  Everything has worked just fine for over 10 years now.

Marty

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips, my Pos battery cable runs to the bottom of the motor too. I will try the extra cable to the fender. Ok did the jumper to the starter to battery thing. Nothing ,so I took off the starter and hooked up some jumpers to the battery. It ran twice and then nothing. So I have a short in the starter, I saw sparks out the back . Going to the starter repair shop.

• Like 1