Mystery control on D15 dash

kumhyr
Go to solution Solved by DonaldSmith,

Does anyone know what this switch is? It's under the dash by the dash lights dimmer. I can't find any mention of it in the shop manual.

Regards,

Davidpost-6944-0-58435600-1404058147_thumb.jpeg

Heater switch. Missing the plastic knob?

On the 1946-8 chryslers the little toggle switch controls two map courtesy lamps at the rt and left kick panels.

• Like 1

I knew the toggle switch was the dash dimmer/cutoff. I meant the round thing beside the toggle.

Ah heater switch, that could be it, but I'm not sure. It's strange to have it there by the control for the dash lights dimmer. And there are two knobs on the heater itself for fan speed and for on/off.

Regards,

David

There is a resistance coil in that swtich. Did you follow any wires that are hooked to it if any?

Looks like a black and red wire to it.

Black is a color for a heater motor wire.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Hi Bob,

I traced it out and it is connected to the heater. Glad you mentioned that because I found the wires had been cut and twisted back together on the firewall by the heater- no tape, just a twist.  I'll have to fix that before winter, since I'm in central Texas maybe not.

I turned the switch - I didn't do that before because it looked like it might have been some type of sensor. It turns easily and has four obvious detents when you turn it. Like 3 run positions and an off.  The coils at the back of the switch inside the ceramic enclosure puzzle me. Are they resistance coils or some type of thermostat limiter? Do you know?

Regards,

David

• Solution

The coils are for limiting the speed of the three-speed fan. 

My Uncle Arthur drove a 30's car through the 50's, then bought a compact 60's Chevy. His comment:

"Two-speed wipers, three-speed fan, don't know what a fella needs all that for."

• Like 1

Huh, that's weird. On my 48 Desoto, there is a little red glass bulb that you twist for the maplight right in that spot- is there one in your Plymouth that I'm not seeing?

please remember that a lot of the items in your cars may have been dealer installed option, especially stuff like heaters, map lights, under dash courtesy lights, so they may have been technicians choice when deciding where to mount the switch for accessories similar to those.

• Like 1

Options for switiching back in the day seem to have been numerous. I make a point now of peeking at 40's dash controls at the cruise nights and car shows.  I've literally seen hundreds of different types of switched, rheostats, etc.  I never seen one for dealer installed options that is Mopar issued for P15 beside the dash light toggle, other than the push/pull fan switch that gets mounted next to the ignition.