What the #@*&^ is this?

Does anyone know what this is? It's mounted on the bed of the truck between the cab and the rear fender. I've been told that it use to hold road flares and also that it held twine and the sharp object  sparked the road flare or cut the twine. Any help would be appreciated. 

post-6290-0-90258500-1403574333_thumb.jpg

possibly held a grease gun. They were used extensively in the 50's. Every thing was greased twice a day when in constant use. The vertical item looks like a rope tie to hold down a tarp.

Edited by pflaming

well lets see....holder for branding irons...spur rack for when you get off the horse and into the truck...storage rack for the castration device...sheep shear holder...noticed the size of the bracket is about the same as that of a Jack Daniels bottle...

could it have been a holder for an aftermarket bottle jack

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Has anyone noticced that when Plymouthy does not know the answer how he tries to bluff his way through? Makes one wonder how accurate his mopar answers are! lol

• Like 1

It holds roadside reflector flares......

post-340-0-41153500-1403599315_thumb.jpg

Like these. ^_^

post-340-0-49155700-1403599329_thumb.jpgpost-340-0-47029000-1403599345_thumb.jpgpost-340-0-44872100-1403599555_thumb.jpg

I've collected a few rusty sets from the 1.5 tons I've saved.

48D

pflaming, on 24 Jun 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

Has anyone noticced that when Plymouthy does not know the answer how he tries to bluff his way through? Makes one wonder how accurate his mopar answers are! lol

I'll remember these very words next time you call wanting answers ...like should I buy this OD for 200.00 and resale it...  :lol:  you don't laugh much do you PP

MB..seems the reflectors have taken quite a hit from the weather...if you really think of it I am surprised any were even left in the trucks all those years..lost or taken earlier by a memento collector..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

saw some of those reflectors that last weekend in the restored MN State Patrol car....way cool.  About the only place you'd probably see them not roached out!

I got lucky last year.  Bought a set of 3 kerosene flares (never been lit) and their mounting rack. I have those on the bed of the 1 ton.   When I bought the flatbed body for the 2.5 ton on one of the stringers there was an almost new rounded metal box mounted underneath it with reflectors in it.  Also found two of those hinged round metal containers that held a headlight sealed beam, and an assortment of bulbs that were kept under the seat.  In Macungie, I found a bracket for my brass carbon tet fire extinguisher.  I like these period correct accessories.

MB..seems the reflectors have taken quite a hit from the weather...if you really think of it I am surprised any were even left in the trucks all those years..lost or taken earlier by a memento collector..

The ones I've shown here are truly roached out, and really, why clean them up? lol....They are vintage and won't be used. Infact, you can buy cleaner sets on Eekbay for 15 bucks in some cases. They came out of a 1949 Calif. Department of Forestry (dodge) work truck.

48D