1971 Plymouth Hemicuda Convertible just sold at Mecum's for............

deathbound

Holy SH*T !  It might have been 1 of 11 built and the only one left with numbers matching, But I've got better things to do with my money. Nice car BTW thanks for sharing.

" I've got better things to do with my money. "   I certainly agree with Rod on his statement, but some who have it flaunt it. That is a level of living I do not even begin to comprehend. 

I'm keeping an eye open for jobs with Mecum. They are headquartered about 30 minutes from my house in the small town of Walworth, Wisc. They had a graphic artist position recently that I didn't notice until too late. (Didn't realize Mecum was a commutable distance until that point.)

It would be interesting working for them.

15-20 years ago here ( Seattle Area) at good ol' Murphy's Auction sold the same color/year car for as I recall around $450,000. Shocking! :eek:  

Probably that car, at least, if it was a Hemi. Apparently that is 1 of 2 made in 1971 (Hemi 'Cuda convertible) and the only one known to have survived. Pretty good ROI if that was the same guy who bought it for $450K.

I've been thinking and most of us would probably agree if we had $3.5 million in the bank, that isn't how we'd spend it.

If I had $35 million in the bank, that probably still isn't how I'd spend it.

If I had $350 million in the bank, I'd find it hard to pass up.

If I had $3.5 billion in the bank … I'll take two please.

May be chump change for some ,but to keep it in perspective- :)

"Perhaps what's most remarkable about the high prices attached to Hemi 'Cudas is that they aren't particularly remarkable automobiles. 'Cudas, Hemi-powered, convertible or otherwise, weren't hand produced from exotic materials by some storied performance automobile manufacturer. Moreover, they weren't produced in limited quantities by design. These were mass-produced Plymouths that didn't sell well because, when loaded with the $883 Hemi engine on top of the $3,291 base price for a convertible, they were really expensive. They had also become really expensive to insure.

As a consequence of the latter, 1971 would be the last year for the vaunted 426 Hemi in the E-body. New for 1971, the 'Cuda sported a "cheese-grater" grille with quad headlamps, and a quartet of nonfunctional gills was added to the sides of the front fenders. At the rear, 'Cuda buyers could order enormous "billboard" decals that began on the door with a callout of the car's engine size (or the word "Hemi" for the Hemi) then extended back over almost the entire quarter panel. The iconic Shaker Hood was standard with the Hemi engine and optional on 340 and 383 four-barrel as well as 440 six-barrel engines.

In 1971, only 6,228 'Cuda hardtops and 374 convertibles were built. A scant 108 hardtops were built with Hemis and just 11 convertibles had Street Hemi power. Four-speed manual Hemi 'Cuda convertibles are the rarest of all with just three built.

Value Trend
1993: $250,000
1998: $410,000
2003: $1,000,000
2008: $3,000,000
2013: $1,200,000"

This article originally appeared in the June, 2013 issue of Hemmings Motor News.

Edited by Ralph D25cpe
  • Like 2