52 Dodge Pilothouse

I'm fixing up a 52 Dodge at least enough to get it rolling home.  I have a few questions for the wise folks here.  

What is the standard spark plug.  The Champion J8C's that are in it are toast and I managed to snap the ceramic on one as I was removing it for cleaning.  Is there a good source for a new master cylinder?  I'll need to get the brakes working before I can move it.  I found that I can get a cap and rotor at NAPA for a little over 20 bucks.  Any idea of part numbers on the points and condensor?  I saw a manual for a 52 on Ebay.  Has anyone purchased it and does it do the job of giving you the insights?  The truck in my profile picture is the one I'm working on.  The motor rotated freely when I started and after a little 30W in the spark plug holes it rotates even better.  Not sure if it's a 6 or a 12 volt system in the truck at this time.  Anybody know a diffinitive way to identify which?  It has a generator if that helps. 

Thanks in advance!

Jimbob

post-7029-0-69902900-1402360660_thumb.jpg

post-7029-0-33587700-1402360661_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Look for red tag vs green for 6v/12v. Best thing for the dist is to pull it and go to napa with the dist # off the side tag. You don't know what someone may have swapped in there and there are at least 3 dist that all fit but take diff points cap etc

Welcome to the best forum on the web.  There's a tremendous wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum.  Learn to use the search function and read through the technical info under resources and you'll probably find the answer to 90% of your questions.  

I bought my master cylinder from NAPA.  Many on this forum recommend replacing all the steel brake lines and rubber brake hoses too (I agree).  If you've never worked on Mopar brakes from this era they can be a challenge - there's lots of help available of the forum.  The eBay manuals are usually copies of the originals and are very helpful.  Also helpful if you can find one is a Parts book for your truck.  For the points and condenser, you'll probably have to pull the distributor to get the numbers off a plate riveted to the body.  Several different distributors were used and they don't all use the same points.  Pulling it makes it easier to work on anyway.  Pay particular attention to the small wire inside the dist.  If the insulation is bad it can ground out the ignition.  Replace the wire if there's any doubt.  

Also could be a great time for some upgrades if your into that way of thinking, bu swapping to a dual chamber master cylinder, possible front disc brakes and going to 12 volt if you find a lot of toasted wiring and parts.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks everyone. 

Once I dig it out of the shed it's in I'll post a bunch more pictures.  At the moment I can only get to the front three or four feet. 

The label on the generator is green so I'm going to go with the assumption it is a 12 volt system.  The truck was red from the factory and appears to be complete.  Someone added some electrical doodads on the dash that I'll have to figure out but all the gauges are there and look to be in good shape.  The seat still has decent springs and a good cover on it.  It will need door glass and rear window glass.  Not the bent windows but the center window.

Thanks again!

I don't think he will be able to convert to disc brakes easily on a 1-1/2 ton dodge.

Autolite 295's or 306's will work fine in that old dodge.

There is a data plate on the driver side door hinge piller. Take a good picture of it and post it here on the forum.

That will help us help you!

Bob

• Like 1

Turns out it's a three ton truck with a single speed rear axle.  Still working getting more info and a picture of the firewall plate.  The VIN starts T314 though.  Oh it's also a 51 not a 52. 

Regards,  

Edited by jimbob1058

• 2 weeks later...

My first post here after joining today.

Is that T314 the firt set of characters on your engine block? If it is that is the engine serial number and indicates the engine is either a 236ci or 251ci for a dodge truck from 1951-1953. The models associated with it were also listed on the following website I found yesterday.

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html

This forum has already paid off for me on getting myself organized for my 1952/53 odge B-3-B-108 pilothouse project.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Well I went back to my truck this weekend and took some more pictures.  It turns out there is no plate on the firewall or the door post.  Here are some pictures of the truck as it sits.  It does appear to have a two range rear axle.

More later,

post-7029-0-74811100-1407253085_thumb.jpg

post-7029-0-74195400-1407253168_thumb.jpg

post-7029-0-40586600-1407253171_thumb.jpg

post-7029-0-34501100-1407253173_thumb.jpg

T314 is a F or H 1-1/2 ton truck.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
19 minutes ago, jimbob1058 said:

Unfortunately, I won't be able to complete this project and am looking to give it away.  Any takers?

Message me for specific details.

Please post an ad in the "classifieds" section of the forum to re-home this guy.  Meanwhile I will lock this thread.

• Like 1