1951 B2D 1 ton Pickup

Go to solution Solved by Jeff Balazs,

I am trying to find the 'unladen weight' and the 'req.registered gross weight' for a 1951 B2D 1 ton pickup. Vin plate missing from truck. Have verified VIN but need weights for PA registration.

Thanks in advance.

My "53" 1/2 ton has plate on left door post stating factory weight is 3900 from factory and reg. weight should be 4900. You could probably add 2000 lbs. to empty weight. Normal weight for Pa. reg. is 5000 lbs. for 1/2 ton  so I guess that either 6000 lbs. for 1 ton.

Page 53 of Don Bunn's book has a chart for 1 ton models...and he states that the ratings for the 1 ton models gets complicated. There are 5 different  build codes for these 1 tons and the GVW ranges from 5500# on up to 7500# depending on which model you have. The upper two are 1 tons which have dual rear wheels fitted. The only way to be certain is to compare the tire and wheel sizes that were fitted and use this chart to match it all up.

The front axle is rated at 2500#......same as a 3/4 ton.

Jeff

If it helps at all, my 49 B2D116 with the factory rackbody weighs 4500 empty on a certified scale.

Once again, thank you to all responders. I had the truck weighed empty on a certified scale. It came in at 4,040 lbs.

Have not ordered the Don Bunn book yet but it is on my list of things to do. Thanks Jeff.

Measured the wheel base to determine that I have a D126. Only single tires on the rear but the hubs stick out quite a bit so I imagine it may have had dual wheels at some time. Is this probable?

• Solution

According to Bunn's book the rating did not change between the two different WB. The hub should stick out quite a ways on the single wheel rear axle. There were 3 ratings for the single rear wheel versions......5500#...6000# and 6800# The lightest rated trucks had a 4.5" wide front wheel......the other two used 5.5" wide wheels all around. I think the difference between the 6000# and 6800# ratings is in the rear spring ratings. There looks like there were two different sets available......both 10 leaves...but one set was rated several hundred pounds higher.

That is about all I can glean from this book on this subject.

Jeff

Some more factory  weight info....

post-302-0-50886800-1402281507_thumb.jpg