V6 Transplant

1941Rick

you will find the advertised 283 HP is well upon the high end of the RPM scale...my 3.7 Power Tech Dodge engine I am putting in the bz cp has this power curve chart..while not a rocket engine, it is still yet no slouch..plenty of performance and with boasting of economy at the same time..especially with the 5 speed OD manual...notice how the torque is fairly flat across the spectrum..but HP is moderate till upper side of 4000 rpm

200 ft lb @ 1200 and 100 hp
212 ft lb @ 2000 and 120 hp
220 ft lb @ 2400 and 120 hp
218 ft lb @ 2800 and 118 hp
210 ft lb @ 3200 and 138 hp
235 ft lb @ 3600 and 140 hp
235 ft lb @ 4000 and 178 hp
225 ft lb @ 4400 and 186 hp
222 ft lb @ 4800 and 208 hp
216 ft lb @ 5200 and 210 hp

3.9 v 6 seems hard to find,,i was looking for a while,,,just for the heck of it  i  once had a 3.9  dakota  5 speed manual  had plenty of power,,,also  seems hard to find the mopar  4 bbl  intake for the  3.9...i bet some of those got tossed,,,would be a kool swap for sure plenty of engine bay room and power to boot

Yesterday, my friend brought over his new Dodge Ram with the 3.6/automatic.

Drove real nice, plenty of get up and go, trans very smooth.

Sure would like to have a setup like that in one of my Plymouths, but I

am happy with my 82hp/5speed setup,,,,,,for now...................

I'm a fan of the flathead six. Sure would be easy to rebuild it, shave the head a bit and put a couple of carbs on it. Or lightly turbo charge it. I think the wow factor with a flathead is above and beyond that of any modern engine transplant. Nothing out-cools a flathead. And going the way of the transplant is at best always a hard, long, and expensive journey.

Sorry, just had to say it! Sorry sorry sorry. :)

Having said that, I believe the slant six makes the most sense. Someone (I forget who) on this forum has done it, and knows the way.

k.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the flathead six. Sure would be easy to rebuild it, shave the head a bit and put a couple of carbs on it. Or lightly turbo charge it. I think the wow factor with a flathead is above and beyond that of any modern engine transplant. Nothing out-cools a flathead. And going the way of the transplant is at best always a hard, long, and expensive journey.

Sorry, just had to say it! Sorry sorry sorry. :)

Having said that, I believe the slant six makes the most sense. Someone (I forget who) on this forum has done it, and knows the way.

k.

265 engine, shaved head, bored .080 over, cam grind, triple intake and dual dump exhaust, that could very well  light the tires up.... I am no expert, but there are others who have made these engines go.........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a /6 super with a 390 carb, headers, shaved head etc and it ran great in an old Dodge D100 pu. . But would like to go to a modern V6 in my P15. Plymouthy: what doner vehicle did you use for your car and did you use the rear end also. I am thinking about just buying a doner so I can use everything from it. Just want a modern reliable drivetrain for pulling one of my small vintage campers safely down the road.

Yes they are bullet proof.....drove mine for 1500 miles with crank and rod bearings that were loosing thier babit. Crank was good, just rolled in a NEW set of bearings. 

According to an advisor to the Plymouth Club of America, back in the late 40's and 50's there was lots of faulty bearings around. I rebuilt this engine 5 years ago with NOS bearings......mistake.......3000 miles and bearings started to fail. I wrote off the ticking noise to valve setting and put lots of miles......

Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

I've got a 1948 Plymouth sedan thats getting a 2006 3.5L dodge charger drivetrain swapped into it. My plymouth came with no motor or transmission, so this will be a full drivetrain swap from the engine to the rear subframe.

I've got the entire wiring harness and all the computers as well.

Edited by Tresmaddox
  • Like 1

I've got a 1948 Plymouth sedan thats getting a 2006 3.5L dodge charger drivetrain swapped into it. My plymouth came with no motor or transmission, so this will be a full drivetrain swap from the engine to the rear subframe.

nice cant wait to hear more,,,,

Are you planning on posting a build thread? 

Edited by wayfarer

Yes I will as I make more progress into it. I'd like to do the laser scans of my front end first and cad up some motor mount brackets before I start a thread.

Yesterday, my friend brought over his new Dodge Ram with the 3.6/automatic.

Drove real nice, plenty of get up and go, trans very smooth.

Sure would like to have a setup like that in one of my Plymouths, but I

am happy with my 82hp/5speed setup,,,,,,for now...................

I just trade in for a 21014 Ram 1500 with that setup. So far I'm really pleased. GREAT gas mileage and it gets up and out of the way when needed.

Yes I will as I make more progress into it. I'd like to do the laser scans of my front end first and cad up some motor mount brackets before I start a thread.

If you are going to retain your car's stock steering  system, conventional wisdom dictates offsetting the engine 2 inches, give or take, to the passenger side.  The offset is not noticeable when all is bolted together.  As a matter of fact Mother MOPAR did the same when craming v8's into A bodies.

Modern V6 engines run great and make far more power than the V8s of the late 70s and 80s. I have a Taurus SHO 3.2 V6 in my 49 Plymouth and it's rated at the same HP as the 454 in my old 88 Chevy truck I used to have! Other than the challenge of figuring out the ECM wiring, it was easy and a great swap. I'm glad I did it, modern EFI is really nice to have on these old cars.

Modern V6 engines run great and make far more power than the V8s of the late 70s and 80s. I have a Taurus SHO 3.2 V6 in my 49 Plymouth and it's rated at the same HP as the 454 in my old 88 Chevy truck I used to have! Other than the challenge of figuring out the ECM wiring, it was easy and a great swap. I'm glad I did it, modern EFI is really nice to have on these old cars.

sounds  kool