Vacuum Advance

Go to solution Solved by Patrick,

Goes without saying,Don's specs,( post 9) are spot on.....Keep in mind distributor RPM are 1/2 engine RPM. :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

• 3 weeks later...

Okay I've replaced the vacuum advance and rebuilt the inside of the distributor. I reinstalled it and the truck is difficult to start but it did start and idle and I was able to rev it up. However, there is an intermittent backfire. I've played with the timing back and forth to no avail. Is there a trick to timing it or is there something else I should be checking?

If you are convinced you have all wires plugged in to the distributor cap in order and going to the plugs in the correct order then disregard my posting even though from your description it sounds like that could be a problem. It takes less than a minute to double check.

If you are convinced you have all wires plugged in to the distributor cap in order and going to the plugs in the correct order then disregard my posting even though from your description it sounds like that could be a problem. It takes less than a minute to double check.

I'm definitely going to check, just haven't been back out there yet. I think the order I have the plugs is correct but whether or not they are in the correct spots on the distributor is what I'm unsure of. I just read in another post that number one wire should be at 7 o'clock but going off the diagram in the shop manual it looks like one should be at 8. So I may have it one off.

And even if it is all correct........you could easily have a plug that isn't firing. So that would be another thing to check.

Hth,

Jeff

I'm definitely going to check, just haven't been back out there yet. I think the order I have the plugs is correct but whether or not they are in the correct spots on the distributor is what I'm unsure of. I just read in another post that number one wire should be at 7 o'clock but going off the diagram in the shop manual it looks like one should be at 8. So I may have it one off.

If your truck starts and runs it is doubtful you are one off. Find number one in the distributor cap and go clockwise through the firing order to insure each wire is connected to the correct plug.

• Solution

Ok well I got some help today and realized I was misunderstanding the way in which the placement of the plug wires in the distributor went. I had them in the right order but the diagram in the service manual should not be taken literally, 12 o'clock isn't necessarily the same on there as it will be in the truck. This old stuff is all new to this young man! Anyhow, I replaced the plug wires, rotor, and spark plugs just in case and made sure the plug wires were in right and it fired right up. I was able to take it to the Cool Desert Night cruise tonight and it did very well. I think I had the only dodge truck there. The main show is tomorrow and we'll see if there are any others in the 800 or so vehicles registered.

Thanks for the advice and patience once again.

• Like 1

Ok well I got some help today and realized I was misunderstanding the way in which the placement of the plug wires in the distributor went. I had them in the right order but the diagram in the service manual should not be taken literally, 12 o'clock isn't necessarily the same on there as it will be in the truck. This old stuff is all new to this young man! Anyhow, I replaced the plug wires, rotor, and spark plugs just in case and made sure the plug wires were in right and it fired right up. I was able to take it to the Cool Desert Night cruise tonight and it did very well. I think I had the only dodge truck there. The main show is tomorrow and we'll see if there are any others in the 800 or so vehicles registered.

Thanks for the advice and patience once again.

If I understand what you are saying the plug wire placement in the distributor cap was the fix?

Patrick,

I replaced my leaking vacuum advance with a NOS one which also leaked a little which made me buy a rebuilt one that works fine.   Moral of the story is old rubber parts are old, go with the rebuilt.

Jim Magennis

Clover, SC

• 2 years later...

The last time that I checked, there was a whole section in the Hemmings that listed the diaphragm rebuilding service...I had my distributor rebuilt by Burton L Norton and they rebuilt the vacuum advance, among other things :cool:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Its off the same topic I have 48 custom an was redoing some parts  to get it running.I put new carburetor  but it doesn't have the connection for the vacuum advance  unit. Do I need the vacuum  advance unit to turn on my car. I redone gas lines gas, tank ,fuel pump,and redid the spark plug and wires ,and ignition coil but still doenst want to turn over sounds like it does.my next step is to do the timing and hopefully it will start. Sorry bout  my writing.  Thanks everyone. 1948 Dodge d24