Glove Box Clock

THRobinson

Pulled out the radio and glove box yesterday to give a cleaning and test... clock I didn't test yet, can hear something rattling inside, small but still a rattle.

Is there a trick to removing the front lens? Well, more so removing the small dial for setting the time? Looks like a slot head, with a small pin hole in the end.

I'd like to get it open, cleaned, find the rattle and maybe oil it a little before powering it up for testing, in case something is seized and turning it on ruins it.

Figured it out... the small hole in the centre, does absolutely nothing. Just a small hole.

Basically, grabbed/held the dial with my left hand to keep from spinning, and used a slot head for the centre, which wasn't a screw but rather a threaded cap.

That's where I left off... there was a small rattle inside and I got out two small metal half loops with misshaped balls at the ends... hopefully when I get the rest dismantled tonight I'll figure out what they are and where from... almost thinking broken wires, but, the perfect semi-circle shape throws me off.

If you haven't gotten this far yet :

1) Two screws come out allowing access to wire terminals.

2) 2 more screws come out, with a 3rd ( under the upside down 47) being loosened to move the small grounding strip (?) out of the way.

3) Do not loosen or remove the 2 screws in pic 3

4) Gently pry the 4 tabs located around the perimeter to allow the back to come off.

5) You will then be able to manually wind the clock with the mechanism that the curved line points to. That will open the contact points which will slowly close for the next application of 6 volts to wind the clock again.

post-80-0-59105200-1401223237_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-02145000-1401223267_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-71330900-1401223529_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-88854500-1401223912_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-93512600-1401223925_thumb.jpg

Thanks, that helped a lot... got it apart, much cleaner than expected inside.

2 small bits that fell out though, not sure where they came from... or even if from the clock, make something that fell in somehow... I'll show a photo... got the clock sitting in a coffee mug so the hands don't get damaged. The small bits I placed on the white part at the front, 2 small dark metal semi-circles.

Are there oil points for the clock at all? Seems a bit stiff when adjusting the time... also, the front plastic lens... is there a good way to clean that? I was kind of playing with the idea of using a cloth and toothpaste, or the car polish with the light abrasive in it for buffing scratches. Seen a few people use that to polish the plastic headlights on newer cars, figured might work on this but, being 67yrs old, I don't want to try without asking first in case a better method.

IMG_20140527_235629_zps606fd821.jpg

Edited by THRobinson

these clocks had metal to metal contact where the shaft that the gears are on meet the plate they are set into. over time the wear at those points make it have too much friction and the clock will run slow, then not at all. a jeweled movement can have worn jewels replaced, these do not have that advantage.however, it will still tell the correct time twice a day. capt den

I figured if doesn't work I'd replace the innards... Haven't powered it up yet, though ever so often I touch something and the clocks works on its own so I guess that's a good sign... Not sure what the two pieces are though I see two spots where they might go. Will post later since getting a decent photo means getting my canon out instead of taking a pic with the phone.

I looked at a clock, and could not spot those little parts anywhere.

A little plastic polish should clean mine right up.

A little touch of sewing machine oil, or the such on all the pivot points should get you rolling.

post-80-0-55024700-1401409199_thumb.jpg