B-1-JMA build on 77 RV Chassis

I've driven both COE's and conventionals and with the same bed length, the COE was hands down more maneuverable.  A big downfall of the COE is a safety concern.  In an accident, the driver gets to the impact point almost before the truck does.

Dave, I don't doubt that a bit - it's gotta' be better than a VW bus.  New subject; I started the mock-up today (forgot my camera last night at a buddies place where we work another project not worthy of this forum), I'll try to post pics tomorrow; bottom line, not too bad; need to raise the cab 2 inches and move the radiator core support toward the cab  5 inches.  The core support has to be moved rather than the cab in order to retain the proper relationship to the wheel opening.

What are your thiughts on the rear end? There used to be a fellow here about who hauled his dirt track modified with a coe. Had a permanent angled ramp with a winch to haul and secure the car. If you need some ideas the HAMB has a coe thread with a whole bunch of builds and completed rigs.

Greg, it will be awhile until I get there, but I have some ideas, nothing original, but here is a nutshell.  One of the reasons I bought the RV was for the 32 foot chassis' I'll post some pics once it's "cleaned" up;  The wheelbase is 208 inches, it has quite a bit of frame work of a lighter gage extending rear of the differential.  I'm thinking of cutting it off for a different use but similar to what you suggest.  I have a hydraulic dump frame which is on a 51 Ford F-6 chassis that I'm going to put on the Dodge, the chassis are the same width.  I'll put the dump trunions at the end of the Dodge cut-off framework and put a slant apron using the framework I cut off of the Dodge chassis mentioned above.  I'm not looking for much lift or to much deck slant, just enough to get a car up and over.  I really like this hydraulic dump hoist; I've never seen it work, it's pump is powered by a PTO off of the Ford tranny, I'll have to have a block made to adapt an electric pump to the system, for as you know the 727 tranny on the Dodge isn't going to work in that capacity.  The reason I'm going to try to use this hoist is because it was manufactured by the "St Paul Dump Hoist Company" which was founded by a guy named Woods who held the first patent on a dump hoist; I'm just a nostalgic guy.  As I'm sure you have ascertained, the money in this build is going to be in the bed (I know, easier to buy a trailer).  I'll get some pic's up.  Thanks for your interest, Jim.  Greg, I'm editing this because I didn't address "The HAMB", great site; unfortunately there seems to be  a tug-of-war going on regarding a COE thread.   You're right, there are some great builds that have been done and great pictures, I was posting my build there and it was "pulled", as were some others, no explanation; so I started shopping for a site that had no problems with switching out components; I found this one, I have a 48 Dodge COE and a 77 Dodge chassis, here I am.  My intent in joining any forum/organization is the sharing of ideas, learning about things I don't know (a lot), enjoying what others do, and sharing my efforts if anyone is interested.  I still visit "The HAMB", but I'm not posting there; maybe sometime when I have a more "traditional" project.  I will soon be working on putting an 88 Ford 5.0HO EFI and a front  and rear JAG suspension in my 49 F-1, they don't like that either.  Jim

Edited by Dodge 48
  • Like 2

Guys I apologize for my poor attempts when posting pictures.  I realize that each photo should have a description; I'll try to get better, but for nos and starting with the top photo you see:

1 .Front spring perch, it is held in place by one bolt in the front and two rivets at the rear.

2.  Photo shows the original position of the front cross-member which supports the radiator core support, which in turn supports the front of the fenders, grill and hood.

3.  This pic is showing the gap between the cab and the rear of the fender with the cross-member in it's original position.  The solutions are move the cab forward or move the crass-member back.  I've opted to move the cross-member for a couple of reasons 1) I want to maintain the position of the wheel in the vertical center of the cab wheel opening, and 2) moving the cab forward creates problems with engine room.  The gap is 5 inches horizontally and the cab is about 1.5 inches to low (much better than to high given engine clearance), I will try to move the cross-member back about that distance.

4.  The next two photos show how far the cab extends forward of the frame-ends which could affect placement of a future bumper and somewhat expose the grill to damage.

Next post I'll show you the results of my effort to-date.  Thanks for your interest.  Jim

Again, I haven't got the description thing or order of photos thing figured out; please bear with me.

The bottom photo shows the relocation of the cross-member; it now straddles the rivets in the spring perch. I've only moved the unit back 4.25 inches due to 1) wanting to utilize the hole already in the frame for the front of the spring perch, and 2) the interference of the spring shackle bolt; I would have had to go rearward about 7 inches, which I didn't want to do. I am accepting the vertical off-center of the 0.75 inches of the wheel to cab wheel opening. The cab still needs to be raised (another step).

The top two photos show the results of this effort in frame extension forward of the grill, and a general view of the truck straight on, the third photo shows the remaining gap of about 0.75 inch, it looks like more because the grill/fenders are sagging forward with no support. Pray I can over-come my flat learning curve on these posts. Jim

Thread is going great JIm!

After you load a photobucket picture...it should show up in the edit box...the cursor is hard to see, but is to the right of the image. 

Hit the return twice and you should see the cursor on the left and ready to go for the text.

48D

Thread is going great JIm!

After you load a photobucket picture...it should show up in the edit box...the cursor is hard to see, but is to the right of the image. 

Hit the return twice and you should see the cursor on the left and ready to go for the text.

48D

yes what he said...whenever I post a picture w/ Photobucket I jus hit enter 2-3 times and I get a space for text or just space.

Todd, the HAMB is another website for enthusiasts, but they can tear you apart if you ask a question that is naive or not to the point....not a friendly site. knowledgeable, but very not my style.

Thanks for the picture editing information, I'll try it next time. Regarding the HAMB, as I mentioned in an earlier post, they (some moderators) have a problem introducing any foreign adaptations to the site; likewise, some of the moderators have a hard time with truck mixes and matches; I personally don't understand it, half the hobby cars out there are a mix of this and that (if I never see another SBC in a Ford I'll be a happy camper, great engines-----but). I'm enjoying this group a lot; again, thanks for your help and support. Hey, can any of you tell me if that forward edge on the "hood" cover over the radiator goes under the grill top edge or on top of it? I'm guessing under. Thanks again, Jim.

Edited by Dodge 48

I also have bumped a few heads on the HAMB. In the early days newbys on the HAMB were held accountable for posting an introduction. I did that several years ago but I rarely post there. A few years after I made my intro and not having posted there in a while I made a posting and was hammered for not making an intro by someone who joined a couple years after I did. It was aggravating but I had to laugh at it. Like you, I and many here are not fans of the SBC in anything but a shiverlay. However I do have an S-10 transmission behind my flat 6 Desoto and shevy valves in my engine. I look forward to reading the progress on your CO truck.

I recently moved the cab forward and up in order to allow connection of the fender tabs to the cab. I really went well and without too much work; I used the winch attached to the yellow sling, which is visible in some of the earlier photos, to lift the cab a pre-determined height (1.5 inches) and forward a little over 3/4 of an inch; this proved insufficient an necessitated raising it another 1/4 inch. I then C-clamped pre-made "feet" to the vertical cab supports (front and rear)in order to lower the cab to the desired position; the "feet" are simply 6 inch pieces of sturdy angle iron; I did have to cut a 1 inch hole in the rear "feet" in order to allow a frame rivet to utilize the hole, allowing the rear "feet" to sit flat on the chassis. Attached are a couple of photos showing the process and one showing the engine clearance below the cab and cab supports. I was thank-full that the cab required raising and not lowering, the engine clearance would have been a problem, and raising the radiator core support would have made the clearance above a future bumper look very odd. Speaking of radiators, I'm happy (very happy) that there appears to be sufficient clearance to install the larger 440 radiator (which is slightly wider than the core support opening) behind the core support; it clears the cross-member but will require pusher electric fans for cooling. As a side note, the 440 radiator framework incorporate mounting plates which attach to the chassis; I will have to drill two holes but the weight will be borne there and not solely on the core support. Pictures of that at a later time. Essentially mock-up is done; my next move is to get the 77 chassis ready for the transfer of parts using the mock-up specifications. Before I do that there will be front suspension maintenance and cleanup and the same for the differential; of course, brakes on both ends. These components will be removed and the chassis sandblasted and painted.

40Gap3-1_zps1bbba88d.jpg

8CabSupport1_zps6e3c5ecb.jpg

43Align2_zps5cb518e8.jpg

46Align5_zps0a9b135a.jpg

45Align4_zps37beda34.jpg

Edited by Dodge 48
  • Like 1

Hank, thanks for your suggestion; I'll try it next time. You guys have really been helpful in trying to get me up to speed. Thanks again. Jim

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from Dodge 48? He has not been on line for a month. I wonder if he is OK and how his project is going? I sent him a PM a few moments ago.

nope, i was wondering the same thing.

i'll bet his wife grounded him from the site for a while. All the encouragement probably put a dent into their pocket book :lol:  

(i know this site has cost me.....  :) )

• Like 2

I sent Dan a reply to his kind PM a couple of minutes ago; I'll share it here. "Don, didn't mean to worry you or others. I am fine, we have a BIG gathering here for the 4th of July, spent a lot of time in preparation and a little time recuperating. Since the recuperation I have been trying to complete my 68 Cougar XR-7 and creating a paralysis from analysis situation on the 48 COE; I'm seriously considering putting a mid-90's Cummins in it to replace the 440/727, I've gone so far as looking at a couple of engines - still mulling (time and money). Take care, I'll be bake before long. Jim". Anybody got any thoughts on the Cummins idea? Oh, by the way, my wife doesn't keep close watch on me as long as I don't get into grocery money of get in the way of her studio; I'm a lucky Guy!

• 6 years later...