B-1-JMA build on 77 RV Chassis

I bought a 48 Dodge COE with a 78 Dodge RV chassis about six months ago to put the two together.  The truck was in pieces and the pieces looked pretty good; I started a "mock-up" to determine the correct placement of the cab support unit so I could ensure the fore and aft position was correct to allow the radiator core support to match up with the fender and hood units.  I also needed to establish cab height above the engine and ensure proper alignment with the radiator core support since like most vehicles, the core support bears much of the fender load.  All went well until I discovered I was missing the passenger side inner fender, the inner fender is structural and not just a splash shield, therefore necessary in order to go forward.  I advertised on several forums, magazines and Craigslist without success; as you can imagine, these are not exactly common parts.  Finally, I just started calling auto recyclers that have a reputation for having older parts, one led to another and after innumerable calls I hit pay-dirt with a yard in Billings, MT.  I got the unit today, it's in great shape and only needs abrasive blasting.  All the time I spent on "mock-up" to this point was not wasted, the chassis I got with the cab has only 17 inch wheels, they look like a roller-skate under the front fenders, I needed larger wheels, and the chassis is to short.

My objective is to have a 48 Dodge car hauler that looks correct; I'm not into "slamming" or other major modifications to the finished product.  I learned that the chassis is a M400 and that the cost of changing the wheel size to 20 inch was prohibitively expensive for my purposes, and I didn't like the "dime stamped" rims on the dual axle.  I started shopping for a larger chassis and found a 77 Dodge M500 under a 32 foot motorhome that had 19.5 inch wheels and what I consider "correct" wheel mounting technology; that, the length, and the heavier duty M500 frame caused my to buy the unit.  The yard delivered it and I began dismantling it to get to a rolling chassis.  Both of the chassis I now have came with 44/727 drivetrains.  I'll try to post some pictures which will document my efforts to this point; I need to make it clear that A) I am no expert at any of this, I'll be looking for help as I go;  B) I have a couple of other projects I'm working that I doubt are of any interest to this forum, they too are taking my time (and money).  I look forward to learning from you guys.

Edited by Dodge 48

Thanks Guy's. I tried to load pics last night, my files were to large so I've re-sized them, I'll try again. The pics I'm going to try to attach are with the cab as purchased on the short chassis. I am going to do the mock-up on it because as you might note in the pics, there is enough head room in my shed to lift the cab, my shop is only 10 foot ceilings; the two chassis are the same in frame width and appendages, so once the set-up is established I'll simply transfer dimensions to the 32 foot chassis.

Edited by Dodge 48

That's going to be GREAT project ! Welcome to the forum.

Help! I re-sized my pics (none larger than 8KB); still no luck getting them posted. For some reason the link shows up at the top of my post but there is no image; never claimed to be a computer guru. Any help appreciated. Jim

Help! I re-sized my pics (none larger than 8KB); still no luck getting them posted. For some reason the link shows up at the top of my post but there is no image; never claimed to be a computer guru. Any help appreciated. Jim

Hello and welcome. You have an interesting project and I look forward to seeing the photos.

I use Photobucket as a picture hosting website. Google them. By using there free service the photos are automatically re-sized. They also have an upgrade pay-for service that I use as I have  over 5000 photos posted there.

Don, thanks for the info; I've been considering PhotoBucket but have been skittish about trying it. How does a photo get from your "bucket" to a post? Nice car by the way! Thanks, Jim

Once the photos are in Photobucket they will have several links listed with them. Copy the "IMG" link and paste it into your post here.

It should look something like this;

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h254/mac2026/Dells%20show%202013/IMG_0276_zpse7078392.jpg[/i M G]

Then once you Post the message it will turn into a picture.

Edited by Merle Coggins

Thanks for the interest guys.  I've joined PhotoBucket, I hope this works - need pics to be interesting.   010_zps270fbd09.jpg
021_zpse8cac66c.jpg
011_zpsa42a1d37.jpg
014_zps8ad05190.jpg
016_zpsbcfd18ed.jpg
012_zps043b2d88.jpg
017_zpscf137967.jpg

Edited by Dodge 48
  • Like 2

Jim. do the COE's have the VIN number stamped on the frame? (maybe it was already tittled with that frame)

either way i suspect you will be having fun on this one.... i am suprised how little rust it look like it has for being in Washington :)

Brent and ruff: thanks for your interest. There is no rust other than some surface; my big problem was finding a couple of missing parts; I now have them in hand and will start mock-up. You may have notice the C-clamps holding the cab support structure, I know the cab has to come forward about 2 inches and up about the same. Regarding title, I have the title for the truck as a 48. WA titles based on body, I shouldn't have a problem getting registration since I have that title and a specific Bill of Sale for the chassis it is going to eventually mounted on. I'll put some pics up soon of the eventual M500 32 foot chassis.

I thought some of you might be interested in what I started with to get the 32 foot cassis that will ultimately (after many mods) support the 48 COE.  I think this link will give you a slide show.  Later I'll provid pics of some of the mods started to bring this project forward.  Jim  <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/jimegan1/embed/slideshow/48%20Dodge/77%20Dodge%20RV%20Dismantle"></iframe>

Edited by Dodge 48
  • Like 1

Great slide show!  

Tearing down old travel trailers is always messy....I can imagine how frustrating that 32 footer must have been!

Your project looks awesome can wait to see more of it.....personally I vote to keep at least one bullet hole. ^_^

48D

Neat looking project.  Watch that first step coming out of the cab-it's a lu-lu.  Did that once in a White Road Commander I drove-the thing was so nice I forgot about how high up I was sitting and stepped out of the cab and went right down to the fuel island.   Had been driving for a wee bit too long that day.

• Like 1

ggdad, thanks for the warning.  Actually, in doing some research on the COE concept I learned that they were conceived as an improvement for delivery units in heavily congested urban areas; that the shorter length and better visibility gave them a maneuverability and safety advantage.  I also read that due to insurance claims by drivers that shared your experience caused rates for operators of the COE's to rise considerably leading to less demand for the style; I put that thesis out at a breakfast I attend with motor-heads once a month and was corrected by a retired trucker, he told us that the demise was more a result of state laws changing regarding allowable length of loads, which is correct I don't know.  I always wanted one of the COE's when I was a kid on the farm, my Dad always bought used long hoods to haul hay, the COE's cost a bit more and he wasn't into "more".  See, it's a childhood fetish.

. . .  Actually, in doing some research on the COE concept I learned that they were conceived as an improvement for delivery units in heavily congested urban areas; that the shorter length and better visibility gave them a maneuverability and safety advantage. . . .

I guess shorter wheel base for the same payload area would be an advantage but I thought the reason was axle weight limits. By moving some of the fixed weight (cab) over the front axle it freed up some load carrying weight capacity on the rear axle. I recall hearing at one time that drivers preferred the conventional setup as they typically have a more comfortable ride than a COE.

But I've never driven a large truck much less a COE, so all this is armchair speculation on my part.

I'm surprised to see the interest in the "concept" topic. I surely don't with certainty know the answer; all I know is I'm looking forward to this project. Today I'm working on a non-MOPAR car I've had for years, trying to complete a bare-shell restoration. Also, spending some time trying to figure the best approach to figuring cab placement on the Dodge COE project. I guess the first step is the first try. Glad you're following along. Jim