1954 newyorker hemi...uphill struggle!

sig

ok so as a few of you will remember, before christmas I bought a newyorker, from newyork state. thinking it would be able to be sent off at the same time as the dodge. oh how wrong I was !!!!..the dodge took 3 months for no apparant reason and the newyorker had paperwork problems. the papers didnt coincide with the (obvious) vin number althou I hear that at that time there were often more than 1 number on a car. anywaynobody wanted to look very far on the car so the previous owner had to go to the authoritirs and get a new VIN.

this is now done and today the transporters are going to customs to see if it all checks out.

keep your fingers crossed !

hears the car which is a beaut ! in my opinion, bluish interior and hemi, everything seems to be there, although I havent actually seen it as yet :rolleyes:

I ´ll start the thread so as to urge the thing on !

cheers for now sig

chrysler54_zps4e6f27bf.jpg

KGrHqRHJEEFJ7G1HpsBSfnjj4Zb60_57_zps599b

T2eC16NHJGFFmDPGYBSfnkBK-pg60_57_zps15c254NewYorker007_zps313fc0bb.jpg

• Like 1

thanks guys..no, the owner sent me pix of the engine but super low def. so hardly able to see anything. and with all the other problems I havent even tried to think too far ahead. the old owner says it needs a full renovation...but then he obviously hasnt seen the dodge!, this looks very easy in comparison, but you never know.

I´ve seen some pix of a tartan interior in these things which I love..so maybe a possibility, I´m just looking forward to hearing it run and sitting in it!!

if all goes well today with customs I´ll get the transporters to take some photos of it in their warehouse.

cheers for now sig

• Like 1

Sig, this may be OT but I've always been curious about something. An impression we Americans have is that, overall, most Europeans look down on America/Americans as selfish, cowboyish and wasteful consumers. Obviously it's dangerous to stereotype a whole group of people but I do get that impression myself. (And I have been to Europe and have spoken to numerous Europeans over the years). How does the fascination with Americana (in this case cars) factor in to all that?

Sig, this may be OT but I've always been curious about something. An impression we Americans have is that, overall, most Europeans look down on America/Americans as selfish, cowboyish and wasteful consumers. Obviously it's dangerous to stereotype a whole group of people but I do get that impression myself. (And I have been to Europe and have spoken to numerous Europeans over the years). How does the fascination with Americana (in this case cars) factor in to all that?

oooff, the million euro question !!!....well americans are selfish, wasteful cowboys arent they !!?????..only joking :P

its a a good question..without a doubt the 50´s exuberance in american car design is slightly different to the damage done to the US image abroad due to other more recent foreign policy (reagan was a particularly personal case in point (if you want to talk about cowboys!)). I take the car thing to be a kind of celebration of taking things to the maximum...and there will always be a market (especially for men) for that.

my dad was always mad into all things american /flashy/ new and modern...he since remarried an american from idaho which is where he lives. Sharon is great and a fantastic calming influence on my dad..somehow disproving the stereotype.

also I met many californians when I worked on a fairground near san fran..I found many of them to be among the most fun loving and "intouch" people  I have met...however I also noticed an incredible lack of knowledge of world geography and the "exterior"..merely a schooling thing I´m sure.

then since living here many of my best friends are US "expats" that consider themselves to have escaped the american lifestyle to integrate themselves wholly into spanish /european thinking.

apart from all that, by far the most helpful people on any of the forums for any of the topics that I´ve been into during the last 5 years (including scalextrix, train modeling, 1/6 military, and now cars,) are you yanks...the spanish generally know very little about anything in depth, the brits are usually helpful but at times a bit too opinionated...maybe?...all depends on the forums also, this one is full of intelligent people looking to share their interests..which is great in any country.

remember I also left my country and If you look at any country from afar its easy to concentrate on the overweight kids , stupid rules and regulations,fear policies, and shoddy media appealing to the lowest common denominator etc etc..but every country and culture has many great plus point also..the spanish work ethic for example drives me up the wall, but at the same time it keeps me sane and healthy !

just a few points that I could think up, I could go on for ages !

ps..confirmation, the car has been cleared by US customs  :D  :D  :D

sig, nice car to start with. I am a fan of 1954 Chryslers. have owned them on and off since 1966.i had 2 windsors, just sold one recently. my current one is a 1954 Windsor deluxe convertible. it is an all original car and we drive it often, take it to shows.i have a lot of information about these cars and some parts.i kinow where you can get the brake booster rebuilt. most shops will tell you they can't do them anymore.it is a very different power brake system.hope it arrives soon. capt den

• Like 1

thats cool to know, maybe you can tell me what I´m going to be in for and what to expect?..rebuild the brake booster?, carb kit?water pump? etc etc...is it 6v or 12v? I really know nothing so far

cheers sig

all the new Yorkers had power brakes. they are 6 volt, positive ground.the brake booster is separate from the master and gives boost to the fluid and not the pedal. there is a rubber diaphragm in the booster and from age it goes bad and then the brake fluid from the master gets sucked into the engine creating clouds of smoke and a quick loss of brakes.you can bypass the booster and have non power brakes that work just fine.rebuild parts and kits are readily available for the components of the car.one thing you must know is that the lug bolts on the driver side of the car are left hand thread.the 331 hemi is a good motor and the powerflite transmission is a good reliable unit.these are well engineered cars and drive real nice. the full time power steering is a little touchy but better than not having it.you will not see many other 54 Chryslers where you are, or anywhere for that matter.i hope it lives up to your expectations when you get it. capt den

haha not at all, I should have said thanks for the info sorry!!..I got photos from the transport people of the car as is after 6 months in storage and taken with a flash...always a bad thing...there are stains on the inside upholstery which makes me wonder where the water is coming from and makes me worry about the state of the floor..here you go

SAM_9940_zps61d51d9a.jpg

SAM_9832_zpsa53e6db6.jpg

SAM_9943_zps20726fa6.jpg

SAM_9829_zps44ca7286.jpg

they look like mildew.  Soooo that means water somewhere.

how is it even possible to get water on the inner ceiling like that ?, up state newyork and left outside..I guess it rains a bit up there?? condensation dripping from the roof??

could be water coming in the windows and getting the whole interior damp.  Mildew spread.   Look at the rear carpet right in front of the seat.  Looks a lot like mildew.  Could be something else.

how is it even possible to get water on the inner ceiling like that ?, up state newyork and left outside..I guess it rains a bit up there?? condensation dripping from the roof??

Perhaps an exploding can of soda pop...? :P

• 1 month later...

the newyorker is officially arriving on the 15th of august in barcelona !!!!yeee hawww !!!...can´t wait to see it after 9 months waiting :)

• 1 month later...

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHES HOME !!!!!!!!!!

WITH HER NEW FRIENDS !!!!!!!!

IMG_9857_zpscc38891e.jpg

really good condition apart from smelling like piss on the inside...the bodywork is ace, underneath ace..all there..very happy what a relief...I´ll post some more fotos when I´ve calmed down !!!!

still pleased..the floors are in great condition although the protective covering had just about given up

loads of interesting old maps and stuff in the rear.

the biggest problem at the moment is the jammed front wheel which was flat in deep grass for years and has rusted..anybody know any tricks or do I just need to get out the big hammer??

cheers sig

IMG_9862_zpsc8a85cbf.jpgIMG_9877_zps03599e89.jpgIMG_9871_zps1b437b23.jpg

The stains on the interior could be rodent damage.  The stains on the back of the front seat look like there were mice living in the seat at one time.  They also get into the headliners.  It is a common problem in old cars stored in barns in the northern US.

• Like 1