Carburator fell into pieces

Kai-by-Vecona

Hello Everybody,

I just tried to make a tune up when suddenly the engine shut down. I tried to start again but nothing happend exept. The I took the air cleaner off and saw that the linkage from the fast idle cam ob the carburator was loose. To my surprise, the hole axle were the idle cam and the linkage is fixed isn't there.

I looked under the car and found nothing and I really can't remember how the axle is constructed. My manual didn't show anything either.
So I uninstalled the carburator and I see nothing but a hole. There's no thread or anything what could hold the axle. Now I'm a little bit afraid, that the axle normally is pressed into the carburator and it's got loose however and the part is sucked into the engine. (Pleeeeeeease say that this couldn't happen!)

However does anybody has a solution to this? I don't want to pull off the head just to look if the littel piece has found it's way through the engine...

post-6458-0-89630400-1400267606_thumb.jpg

post-6458-0-84670100-1400267628_thumb.jpg

yes, the throttle plate is still in place.

Like on the pictures of shel_ny there's a hole from the inside but the pin is missing. I don't understand how that part is fixed to the carburator normally. I really hope that it don't go inside.

yes, the throttle plate is still in place.

Like on the pictures of shel_ny there's a hole from the inside but the pin is missing. I don't understand how that part is fixed to the carburator normally. I really hope that it don't go inside.

I did not attempt to remove the pin, but I believe it is just a press in fit.

The end of the pin is .25". Best that I can do to measure the hole from the inside is .22"

The pin does not go far into the throttle body.

You should be able to fabricate a pin from a piece of stock.

Let me know if you need any other measurement.

post-80-0-40111800-1400285171_thumb.jpg

Is the hole in Shels pic the idle air screw passage? If you have a hand throttle the high idle cam and linkage is redundant.

Greg, that is the hole for the pin/peg that the fast idle cam pivots on. Same hole as in the pic Kai posted.

J Edgar had the Stromberg with the cam, and had a hand throttle. About the only time I used the hand throttle was to keep the rpm's up to charge the battery when sitting in the yard. Easier than trying to get the high idle cam back into play.

Edit: sp

Edited by shel_ny

That was my thought. Plug the hole, bypass the hi idle, and use the hand throttle when needed. Should be able to find a suitable plug at the hardware store. My hi idle is wired down because it was worn to the point where it stayed on the cam. So it is locked in the off position. Hasnt been an issue even with the hand throttle in operative also.

Hello,

because I didn't find the pin I will try to plug the hole. Now as I understand the funktion of the high idle cam I would try without until I find a carburetor for rebuilt. You can't leave the hole open because the enginge will get too much air. What I really don't understand is the construction of the hole/pin. I always think, the hole might be something for elsewhere they could made a pin that is included in the cast body. But who knows... main thing is to get the car back on the street.

Thank's for the help

Kai

if your measurements  are correct, the shank of a 1/4 " bolt should go right in and if too tight, chucking it into a drill and taking a file to it should get it to size fairly quick. it's not cast into the carb because different length pins can be used for different applications.  A bit of lock tight will help secure it in place.