Glass Tailgate ???

Go to solution Solved by John-T-53,

Not sure if this is considered OT or not…..

This is not my idea, I saw it on a 50 something Chevy back in 1986. I have always thought this would be fun to have (and yes I know not practical) it will be 1/2 “ glass with etched outline, DODGE and 1951

post-6005-0-63595100-1399778444_thumb.jpg

I have checked previous threads and haven’t seen one (probable for a reason) sorry if I am taking someone’s idea

This is the last thing I need to be working on but, I am so frustrated with my brakes I started this.

post-6005-0-75097900-1399778521_thumb.jpg

(the black areas will be shrunk by about 1/2" from the edges and the glass edges will be wrapped in a "u channel" where it touches the metal )

Looking for some advice; 1.) on the latch, should I shrink the latch or lower it flush with what will be the backside?

post-6005-0-06983700-1399778600_thumb.jpg

2.)any opinion on tempered Vs. laminated glass?  I have heard of tempered laminated glass… not sure

3.) should I leave the area under the latch, exposed glass with the “clipped” look or  trimmed out with the ½” tubing?  post-6005-0-66683900-1399778670_thumb.jpg the 1/2" tubing will be a removable "frame" (for when it breaks)

Thanks, by the way I live on a 1 mile gravel road…… :D 

Just buy a tailgate! :D

LOL......... I found one on a 49' in Vancouver but the guy wouldn't take $350. for it :lol:

for show..could be a gimmick to separate you from some of the other entries in a show..but for practicality..no so much in my opinion... different..yes..if that is what you are going for..

I don't think my truck will ever be "show" quality.... this was just one of those thing I have been thinking about for 28 years. I also thought it could open up possibilities for others as options.... different glass i.e. Pilot house, job rated.... or even routed wood.

heck, it could end up a part of my wife's greenhouse :)  

• Solution

This is different and cool. I'd go with tempered. When you think about it, many buildings have glass doors (with no frame) and glass guardrails, so why couldn't a glass tailgate work? 

It'll work fine. As long as you're not hauling a bed full of 6"+ river cobble, loose, it'll be fine (lol ... wouldn't want to do this with a steel tailgate either).

You should be able to use the bed as you'd normally would too. Put a piece of protective film on the inside - such as seismic film used on building windows - as a sacrificial scratch protectant.

Put a spacer under the latch bracket so it sits flush. And I think fully-framed would be best.

• Like 1