Sad day, but looking to sell

THRobinson

$30 an hour is cheap when you really think about it.

This is the way to go.

The big shops here are getting $75 and they are mainly just doing R&R.

Diagnostics start with a flat fee of like $90 many places, & go from there.

Part of my budget went towards getting a good tent/cover actually... same as this one different colour. 12x24x10 I think. . . 

74332a_gallery.jpg

I'd get busted for that by code enforcement. Way too tall for our neighborhood.

I built a tarp out of galvanized chain-link fence parts, which is where I was storing my boat, but now where I'm stripping my car. It had to be low, and all the commercial kits were too tall. Also one edge hangs from the eaves, so I don't want to advertise that it's there.

post-6765-0-80350800-1399495510_thumb.jpg

The tarps are $40 but only last about 6~9 months around here unless you pay big bux for a really good one.

Edited by Ulu

When I bought my house I made sure it didn't have an HOA because of this type of crap. Now mind you my house has great curb appeal. All the neighbors love me because I fixed up the one front yard that was an eye sore. I have my 64 Dart SW project in the garage and my 36 Dodge Coupe out back out of sight. I'd hate to be in your situation

When I bought my house I made sure it didn't have an HOA because of this type of crap.

That's no guarantee. I have the only house on a island and a 8 acre yard,and damned if I don't butt heads with the zoning idiots every 3 or 4 years. I am 700 feet off the main road,and I've had people who live over 15 miles away file zoning complaints against me for having "too many" cars in my yard. Evidentially they were joyriding one weekend and decided to ride up the road to see what was there,and the woman got her panties all in a wad over "all the ugly old cars".

You were right to do your damndest to make sure there was no HOA there,but that's no guarantee the "everybody wear red and march in a straight line" people won't hunt you down.

• Like 1

That's no guarantee. I have the only house on a island and a 8 acre yard,and damned if I don't butt heads with the zoning idiots every 3 or 4 years. I am 700 feet off the main road,and I've had people who live over 15 miles away file zoning complaints against me for having "too many" cars in my yard. Evidentially they were joyriding one weekend and decided to ride up the road to see what was there,and the woman got her panties all in a wad over "all the ugly old cars".

You were right to do your damndest to make sure there was no HOA there,but that's no guarantee the "everybody wear red and march in a straight line" people won't hunt you down.

Dear God what is this nation coming to. That's 100% BS

Dear God what is this nation coming to. That's 100% BS

A couple of years ago there was a guy that retired from the Navy and moved into this area,and he made it his personal mission to drive around a 3 county area and take photos of code violations and turn them in to the county compliance officers along with formal complaints.

Not just unlicensed or inoperable cars,either. He was going after people with overgrown lots,unpainted buildings,etc,etc,etc.

He was so proud of himself he even appeared on one of the 6 PM network news programs bragging about how he was going to keep on doing it.

He even managed to force one guy to close down his welding shop next to his house that he had been operating for over 25 years,and rent commercial property to park his project cars on to avoid fines.

I think somebody must have beaten the snot out of him,because he hasn't been heard from since his last tv appearance.

Too many people refuse to stand up for themselves when faced with this crap,and "fines of up to X thousands of dollars per day per car" ( I forget the exact number of thousands per day they threatened me with) because they can't afford to take a chance on losing. I stood up to them because I had everything to lose if I went along with it,and not only refused to move anything,I told the zoning officers that if I ever saw them even standing in my driveway again I would have their asses arrested for trespassing,and that if they ever wanted to talk to me again to send me a certified letter requesting an appointment. I was grandfathered and knew I was grandfathered,and knew there wasn't a damn thing they could do about it. I even refused to put up a fence unless they were willing to pay for it and the upkeep.

If you are right and know you are right,stand up to them and they will always back down when it becomes obvious you won't.

People seem to forget that you don't even have to allow them onto your property unless they have a warrant.

Unless of course you bought a place with deed restrictions and a HOA. If you did that,you are screwed. The only rights you have are the rights to pay fees and property taxes.

I even own the land in front of my house that the state road is on,and it drives them nuts that I won't deed it over to them.  Somebody forgot to get a right of way for the state when the road was put in back in the 30's,and I ain't giving them anything. Neither is the farmer that owns the acreage on both sides of me. If I had,they were going to pave the road for me. I refused because it would have been the camel's nose under the tent.

Edited by knuckleharley

Ya... the neighbour here was such a pain, still is... threatened to have the cops come after me when I had the car on stands because he said his grand kids might come to the yard, get into the tent and have the car fall on them. Started taking photos and everything. 

Finally, I called the police, had one come over and said this is the problem, can he actually do anything. I'm 6'3" and 380lbs so a big fella, and I took a 6' run at the car to show how stable it was. Cop said the guy can't do anything, no codes were being violated or anything, car was safely lifted, etc...

In fact, the officer said that if he has small children (grand kids) that visit and he has a legit concern that they'll wander into other people yards and into garages and such, he's basically admitting to child negligence because he's admitting that he's not watching them close enough. Especially since there is a creek in the back, he has a pool, and the cars in the front are still slowing down from 80kph to 50kph coming into town... so, more likely the kids will drown or get hit than have a car fall on them.

Cop even knew who the guy was because apparently a bit of a pain to the police as well with his reports and complaints.

Ya... the neighbour here was such a pain, still is... threatened to have the cops come after me when I had the car on stands because he said his grand kids might come to the yard, get into the tent and have the car fall on them. Started taking photos and everything. 

Finally, I called the police, had one come over and said this is the problem, can he actually do anything. I'm 6'3" and 380lbs so a big fella, and I took a 6' run at the car to show how stable it was. Cop said the guy can't do anything, no codes were being violated or anything, car was safely lifted, etc...

In fact, the officer said that if he has small children (grand kids) that visit and he has a legit concern that they'll wander into other people yards and into garages and such, he's basically admitting to child negligence because he's admitting that he's not watching them close enough. Especially since there is a creek in the back, he has a pool, and the cars in the front are still slowing down from 80kph to 50kph coming into town... so, more likely the kids will drown or get hit than have a car fall on them.

Cop even knew who the guy was because apparently a bit of a pain to the police as well with his reports and complaints.

Sounds like a Class A number One Jerkwad to me.

Get that beast started.

If I had acreage I'de probably have 5-6 cars at a time on my property.

We have about 3 acres... 2 is just open grass... no idea why we have it, just sits there and gets mowed every 2 weeks. Had I the money I'd have 2 acres of cars... be worth it simply for the annoyance of the neighbour. :D

• Like 2

We don't have an association, but I live within the suburbs of an incorporated town with a number of laws about how high your fence can be and how many chickens and dogs you can have. It's not too draconian, but it's not like living out in the county.

Theoretically, no tarp structure can remain up indefinitely. They are considered temporary structures only, and don't need a permit.

But if you do leave them up (I do) they shouldn't be visible from the street. Basically what can't be seen from the street is not going to be examined as long as your neighbors don't complain.

I'm very nice to ours & never run the power tools after 10 PM.

I have to ask for clarification..above you stated;

Wish I had the room... Saw a pt cruiser today for $400 and thought, hmm seats, power windows, etc... Great for cheap parts...But ya, get it running first I guess.

Then down below after the yard Nazi rant..you said you had 2 idle acres and would love to put if full of cars...

We have about 3 acres... 2 is just open grass... no idea why we have it, just sits there and gets mowed every 2 weeks. Had I the money I'd have 2 acres of cars... be worth it simply for the annoyance of the neighbor.

somewhere sometime you have to either fish or cut bait...you have a project car now that is just waiting for attention...

Well, sadly our yard is the parent's yard... I went back to school to finish my education, and when I came out I was more broke than I was going in and no one was hiring. So, had to temporarily move back home... we have a yard, but not mine to do with as I please, plus when it comes to car space, I'm more referring to driveway area. and near the house/hut where the tools are. 

Otherwise, having cars in the back acre come spring would just slowly sink in the mud.

It's also why the budget is very tight.