My 1950 Chrysler Build Thread

hendo0601

Even if I can get 1/2 of it out that's better than ignoring it and hoping it isn't low! I have a small suction pump that I have a small rubber hose attached to for draining PS fluid reservoirs so hopefully that will do the trick.

I have not checked it, but now that moves to the number 1 spot on my list of things to do. Should I discover it needs lubrication, what should I use?

Sta-Lube multi purpose hypoid 85W90 gear oil, API/GL-4. I rebuilt my steering box a couple years ago & this is what I used.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Gear-Oil-Automotive-1-QT-CRC-85W90/_/R-SLRSL24229_0006410049

Edited by deathbound

Corn head grease ( NLGi 0) is good for leaky steering boxes on cars you have not fixed or cannot fix because of time, design or lazyness. It's consistancy is about like brown mustard. It's also used in gear boxes like commercial lawn turf mower blade gearboxes.

It won't leak out. And yes I know the leak should be fixed but some never do get fixed.

Just some more odd technical info!

• 2 months later...

Ok so hate to threadjack but since this is the exact same car we just got for my wife, you read that correct, I figured I would first give props on a cool car and secondly ask a a quick question. Her car seems to run a little warm at idle or at stop lights. It gets up to around 212 but as soon as you get going it goes back down to about midway. I have yet to do any type of diagnosing but wanted your opinions as to wher eyou think I should start. I made the mistake of pretty much filling the radiator to the top and when she stops the car it does boil out of the overflow tube but there is no overflow tank. Should I start with the fan/ clutch or should I try flushing the system and the freeze plugs and go from there? Other question is can the freeze plugs be reused as I have never doen this and am unsure if they can or not and if they need any type of threadlock or such. I will be posting pics up soon on a new thread but when i saw this post and read pretty much all of it I was excited to see another car like hes.

Ok so hate to threadjack but since this is the exact same car we just got for my wife, you read that correct, I figured I would first give props on a cool car and secondly ask a a quick question. Her car seems to run a little warm at idle or at stop lights. It gets up to around 212 but as soon as you get going it goes back down to about midway. I have yet to do any type of diagnosing but wanted your opinions as to wher eyou think I should start. I made the mistake of pretty much filling the radiator to the top and when she stops the car it does boil out of the overflow tube but there is no overflow tank. Should I start with the fan/ clutch or should I try flushing the system and the freeze plugs and go from there? Other question is can the freeze plugs be reused as I have never doen this and am unsure if they can or not and if they need any type of threadlock or such. I will be posting pics up soon on a new thread but when i saw this post and read pretty much all of it I was excited to see another car like hes.

Suggest you find and buy and read a service manual for your car. Suggest you also read everything in the resources section of this web page. I don't believe you will find a fan clutch and freeze plugs cannot be reused.

Suggest you find and buy and read a service manual for your car. Suggest you also read everything in the resources section of this web page. I don't believe you will find a fan clutch and freeze plugs cannot be reused.

I know a fan clutch cannot be reused. My question was would you suspect the fan clutch or fan as the culprit. As far as the freeze plugs I asked just to see if it was soeting I could tackle quickly without having to order new parts and play the waiting game. Becasue I am new to these cars and engines thought I would ask the freeze plug question since i found a lot of people talking about removing them but no mention as to whether they were actually replacing them as well. Please excuse my lack of knowledge withthese vehicles but I have learned that its better to ask a dumb question than not ask at all. I will continue to lurk on the forum and try and gain as much knowledge about the car but do not be surprised if I pop up here and there with an noobie or dumb question.

I know I haven't been on in a while (life gets in the way sometimes) but I will try to get back on here a little more often. As far as a fan clutch goes, your engine doesn't have a fan clutch. It's a purely mechanical fan that spins the same speed as the water pump. Freeze plugs are made of very soft metal that is meant to expand if the water in the engine block were to freeze, thus preventing the block from cracking. When you remove it you will destroy it. I doubt you will have to play the waiting game as just about any parts store will have them in stock. Freeze plugs come in a wide array of sizes, and the parts store more than likely has yours in stock. If you are getting a little hot at idle but it's cooling back down while driving I would suspect your cooling system is clogged or blocked somewhere. I would start with a really good flush (both the block and the radiator), replace the water pump and the upper and lower hoses (cheap insurance and it's extremely easy to do.) I noticed mine would run a little hot and kinda rough after an extended drive then coming to a stop and idling, so I did what I mentioned above and now she runs cool as a cucumber all the time. I sat at idle in traffic on an 85 degree day for nearly 15 minutes waiting for a train with zero hiccups. These engines are extremely simple to work on, you just have to get to know it a little bit. I have been using mine as a daily driver for the last few months and I'm loving it!