Any advice on gas tanks?

This is my "barn-find"....although I've always known where it was so I didn't find it.  

This is my great grandfather's truck...his name on the side along with the name of the farm.  My grandma gave me this truck when I was 10 years old and this vehicle is what made me fall in love with old cars.  25 years later, I am finally at a point where I am resolved to get it running again after sitting parked in a little home-made "dodge barn" for 42 years.  

After a lot of time and patience, I got the seized engine unstuck by jacking up the rear wheel, turning it all the way to one side, and filling the chambers with WD-40 or whatever other penetrating oil I had on hand.  Then I would turn the wheel all the way to the other side until it stuck, and did the same thing.  After a few weeks of back and forth every few days, it came unstuck...even has compression.

Threw a battery from my Model T on this truck yesterday to see if the starter worked, and the truck cranks over now.  My next step will be to drain the old oil, WD/40 and everything else out of the system and put some new oil in, then pull her around the farm to get lubed up.

The gas tank is quite rusted, visually, on the outside.  No idea what it looks like inside, but I'm guessing terrible, so I have some  questions.  Keep in mind, this truck will not be restored or repainted to look new.  It is an old farm truck so I'm not going to do much to its appearance at all, except wash it, but I want it running smooth, staying original as possible, and safe to drive.  

That being said, has anyone got advice on how to replace a shot gas tank in a B1B?  Does anyone make reproduction tanks specifically for this truck that I'm not finding?  I found this:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=349/prd349.htm

They say with some modifications their dodge tank will fit a B1B.  Has anyone used this tank?  Another company?  I'm just interested in your thoughts as I look at tacking the fuel system.

Thanks boys!

post-6856-0-77058200-1398872565_thumb.jpg

I just purchased and installed one of the tanks from Tanks Inc. in my 1942 WD-21 (2 weeks ago). I've put around 100 miles on the truck since. My comments:

- The tank is well built and an accurate replacment. This is definitely NOT a cheap knock off as we experience with motorcycle reproduction gas tanks originating from outside the U.S.

- There are only 2 ways to tell it from an original - the outlet is 3/8 NPT rather than female inverted flare, and the drain comes with a hex-head drain plug.

- I have no experience with the modifications needed for a Dodge B1B.

- No leaks, no rattles, no sloshing sound, fitted up perfectly, no problem installation.

The reason I replaced my old tank was that the bottom had been dented over the years, and I believe I was losing around 2 gallons capacity. Also, even though I had the tank boiled and sealed, I had a problem with the pickup tube. The tube came with a soldered on filter and this had come loose for reasons I won't go into. From time to time, stuff in the bottom of the tank would plug up the pickup tube and cause fuel starvation. I'd have to back-blow the fuel line to clear it only to have it happen again from time to time, unpredictably always at the worst times of course.

Until recently no reproduction tanks were available, and good originals were scarce and pricey. Running with an old tank with rust and goop inside is NOT a good thing, and despite boiling and sealing remains problematic. I will probably be replacing the tank on my '47 pickup as well now that the good reproduction tanks are available inexpensively. The price of cleaning and sealing an old tank exceeds the price of the new tanks.

I would recommend replacing the tank and preventing the inevitable headache that comes from cleaning plugged filters and float bowls full of sediment, and replacing fuel pumps as they wear out prematurely.

Edited by jeffsunzeri
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tank review and the link guys!  I see there is a substantial difference in the price of these tanks...$250.00 versus $600  

More picturespost-6856-0-55291900-1398879082_thumb.jpgpost-6856-0-16167000-1398879083_thumb.jpgpost-6856-0-90545400-1398879083_thumb.jpgpost-6856-0-99627800-1398879084_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Have you considered having your tank cleaned, repaired and sealed?  I had mine done at a RENU shop in Texas, and on their website I see they have them in several other states, including Illinois.  http://www.gastankrenu.com/loc-dealer.htm  My tank had several areas that had to be cut out and replaced before sealing - total cost was slightly more than $400.

BTW, check your fuel sending unit at the same time.  If the tank has rust holes, the sending unit is probably rotted as well.

• Like 2

I did consider that, Bob.  I may still, considering the cost of a new one.  I'd like to keep my truck as original as possible, but since the gas tank is completely hidden, whatever works best is fine with me.  

I'm glad I know the history of this truck.  My dad was the last one to drive it, and he parked it in the barn in 1971.  He said when he was at the farm (it was my mom's family's farm) the truck was just used for going back to the creek to go fishing.  The brakes went out on it so it wasn't driven much then.  Later in 1971 my grandfather died, and the truck never ran again as there was no one to care about driving it.  But my granny kept the truck on the farm even though by the 90's every guy in the area was asking her to buy it.  She said she had promised it to me (I was still a kid) so it wasn't for sale.  Plus, she loved my grandpa very much and didn't care about money so she wasn't to eager to see it go for a few hundred bucks profit.  She ran the farm for another 30 years on her own before she passed away.  The farm was sold in 2005, but we were able to keep the house, outbuildings, and 12 acres around them...and so instead of moving the truck in with me like I had always planned to do, I moved in with the truck, and am so lucky to live on my families farm.    

So a couple of years ago I decided it was time to focus on the Dodge.  My dad was helping me get this thing prepped for a new life when he suddenly passed away about a year ago, so suddenly I was my own with this thing and let it sit again.  Just wasn't in the mood...   But I'm gonna get it done.  Started trying to free it again this winter and finally got it free about 2 weeks ago.  I had my friend do a video when I threw the battery on just in case it turned over, and when it did I about cried.  Lots of memories of good people are tied to this truck for me, so even hearing it turn over under battery power was a big deal to me.  There are plenty of videos online of guys overjoyed at their old car/truck/tractor firing off for the first time.  I cant wait for that moment.  

Anyways, I know you guys appreciate the history and story of a truck so I thought i would share. 

Edited by rglowacki
  • Like 1

Here is the tank in my 46. The mounting system looks the same but the top is flatter on the 39-47 style. If the width and length are the same I bet it could be adapted pretty easily.

gastank.jpg

• Like 1

Nice truck, great history. I like your approach and am glad to see you bringing patience and thoughtfulness to the project.

• Like 1

I replaced the tank in my 49 B1C with the tanks inc tank. had to move rear tank mount foreward which only involved drilling to new holes in frame and a small modification to the hole in cab floor where filler tube goes to gas tank. I am very pleased with how it turned out and people at tanks inc were very helpful

• Like 3

Ok that is good to know.  I was wondering how much "modification" was required as I am not a welder, etc.  

And Don, that is a thrasher.  It was sitting outside at a place in Chesterton Indiana and beginning to rot (it is wood) so its owner, who didn't want to part with it, put it up on craigslist so that it could go back inside.  He was glad I could take it and put it into a barn.  It is huge!!!, but later I found out it is one of the smallest threshing machines made by Port Huron.  

By the time I got it, its rear axle had collapsed due to rot from water getting on it.  Barely made it home....I carved a new rear axle for it out of white oak and installed it.  I tell you what...it was definitely meant to be assembled, not replaced.  It seemed about 50 things attached to/went through that rear axle.  But it saved the machine.  I don't know about sawdust but I can give you a pile of straw!

post-6856-0-34513200-1398890537_thumb.jpg

Since you have a spare tire mount on the passenger side fender, you could put a new tank behind the rear axle where the spare usually went.  There is enough room back there you have a lot of tank options. You can buy off the rack or make one.  Here are a couple of pictures of the tank we just built for my 49 B1B.

post-74-0-17374700-1399338587_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-90665900-1399338682_thumb.jpg

I did consider that, Bob.  I may still, considering the cost of a new one.  I'd like to keep my truck as original as possible, but since the gas tank is completely hidden, whatever works best is fine with me.  

I'm glad I know the history of this truck.  My dad was the last one to drive it, and he parked it in the barn in 1971.  He said when he was at the farm (it was my mom's family's farm) the truck was just used for going back to the creek to go fishing.  The brakes went out on it so it wasn't driven much then.  Later in 1971 my grandfather died, and the truck never ran again as there was no one to care about driving it.  But my granny kept the truck on the farm even though by the 90's every guy in the area was asking her to buy it.  She said she had promised it to me (I was still a kid) so it wasn't for sale.  Plus, she loved my grandpa very much and didn't care about money so she wasn't to eager to see it go for a few hundred bucks profit.  She ran the farm for another 30 years on her own before she passed away.  The farm was sold in 2005, but we were able to keep the house, outbuildings, and 12 acres around them...and so instead of moving the truck in with me like I had always planned to do, I moved in with the truck, and am so lucky to live on my families farm.    

So a couple of years ago I decided it was time to focus on the Dodge.  My dad was helping me get this thing prepped for a new life when he suddenly passed away about a year ago, so suddenly I was my own with this thing and let it sit again.  Just wasn't in the mood...   But I'm gonna get it done.  Started trying to free it again this winter and finally got it free about 2 weeks ago.  I had my friend do a video when I threw the battery on just in case it turned over, and when it did I about cried.  Lots of memories of good people are tied to this truck for me, so even hearing it turn over under battery power was a big deal to me.  There are plenty of videos online of guys overjoyed at their old car/truck/tractor firing off for the first time.  I cant wait for that moment.  

Anyways, I know you guys appreciate the history and story of a truck so I thought i would share. 

I went the gas tank RENU route with mine. They said it was the toughest tank they had ever done because of how much varnish was in the tank but they got it done and it looks great.

Mine has a similar history:

My grandfather's cousin bought it new (still have the original purchase paperwork).  It last had plates on it in 1973 when it was parked in the barn.  I brought it home in the early '90's and never really did anything with it until last year and now my sons and I are getting it back running.

I've got E-85 sitting in the tank right now.  I'll see how well it works on what's inside and let you know.  I'm considering either renu or a new tank.  That's funny our trucks have had very similar lives the last 40 years.  I hope you and your kids get it running soon.  Mine may take a while as I'm on my own.  Work always goes slower that way.  At least I got the whole thing cleaned last weekend.

I've got E-85 sitting in the tank right now.  I'll see how well it works on what's inside and let you know.  I'm considering either renu or a new tank.  That's funny our trucks have had very similar lives the last 40 years.  I hope you and your kids get it running soon.  Mine may take a while as I'm on my own.  Work always goes slower that way.  At least I got the whole thing cleaned last weekend.

I can't remember where my story is on the forum to compare notes, but long and short mine is my great grandfathers truck when my dad bought it in '67.  Drove it on the farm till '79 when the brakes went out (geni as well, but that my have been the VR).  Truck I learned to drive on when I was 9-10 years old hauling stuff to the fields for my dad and brother.  After the brakes went dad was tired of sinking money into it (head gasket year earlier) so it go parked in a shed, then moved to several various sheds over the years till I pulled it out in 2010.  Several have told me I was TOO lucky in the condition of the truck to have it be my first stab at restoring and my cost of it being free...

Edited by ggdad1951

Ggdad, I remember you saying somewhere how similar these stories are.  Your truck looks somewhat better cared for than mine, or at least less rust.  It turned out beautiful.  I think the last picture in your gallery for that truck is the most important.  

I ordered one from Tanks INC. Good quality. The install will require modification. The flange on the tank goes around the middle whereas your original tank the welded flange is angled. It's the flange that bolts to the mounting brackets. You will need to make new brackets. In my case I modified the rear bracket and I made another bracket that bolts to the original front bracket and then to the tank.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone has pics of the different ways they mounted a new Tanks inc tank in their 48-53 truck please share, I know it will involve some changes since the tank is inch shorter in length, and does not have the hump on top to make the spout come thru the cab a the correct location (looks like some floor mods again)(so much for the time I wasted making the top rubber seal) lol I will have to fab up something different for the front bracket since I do not have the stock trans cross member.

• Like 1