Carburetor/choke problems

viningben

Thanks for the pics

that wire was what was missing on my Dodge.  

can you guys run through the proper starting procedure For me one more time 

when I follow what the original owners manual describes, it’s reluctant to start

thanks again 

Buddy123: If you have the service manual on your car it should contain the wireing diagram for the engine.  Look at this and then find where the choke is indicated and then follow the black line back from the choke to where it connects to the starter selinoid.

Again I stress the fact that everyone should have at least the service manual for their car or truck. These provide so much information to you. Spend the money to get a copy or even a motors manual. When at swap meets look for these books and you will be surprised at what you will find for your car and also the amount of information that you get from reading the manual and the education.

The more education that you get for your car the longer distances you can travel becsue you are more confident about the workings and how to trace issues.

Just my 50 cents worth of information.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

On 4/7/2020 at 8:03 PM, Sniper said:

On mine, I floor it and let up, then hold the throttle open maybe a quarter and crank it over.  Starts up just fine for me.

Is it just coincidence that the operators manual says to use that procedures for cold starts.  Flooring it sets the choke and the high idle cam on the carb. The choke is pulled open by the bimetalic spring as the manifold warms. After the choke begins to open a blip of Wide open throttle cancels the high idle setting..  It's not fuel injection folks some operator interaction is required.

I have attached the first page of the Sisson Choke Manual information for everyone review.

When the sisson choke is energized on the start the lever on the choke unit moves upward and then closes the choke butterfly on the carb airhorn.

As the cars gets hotter the manifold the bimetal spring in the base of the choke then gets slowly released and the choke arm on the sisson choke than start to move on an downward motion to then slowly open the choke butterfly in the top of the airhorn on the carb.

Proper setup of the choke and the carb are needed to get it to work properly and also having the metal wire to set the choke and the arm in the proper postion.

Hope this helps everyone.  I do have the entire manual on file.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.comimage.png.faa227052391d652683bc9a1bc47d3cb.png

image.png

9 hours ago, greg g said:

Is it just coincidence that the operators manual says to use that procedures for cold starts.  Flooring it sets the choke and the high idle cam on the carb. The choke is pulled open by the bimetalic spring as the manifold warms. After the choke begins to open a blip of Wide open throttle cancels the high idle setting..  It's not fuel injection folks some operator interaction is required.

It's pretty much how you start any carb equipped car.  But, yes the operator's manual does say that, which I read and I use.  There are reproduction operator's manuals for several of our cars, I got one an put it in the glovebox once I read it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Cliff Fales said:

where can I get a copy of the sisson choke manual?  Cliff

https://p15-d24.com/topic/20004-sisson-choke-manual-for-sale-on-cd/

From here so I expect still available  Also here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-52-MOPAR-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-DODGE-DESOTO-SISSON-CHOKE-MANUAL-ALL-MODELS/312625111102

• 1 month later...

an

On 7/13/2020 at 11:01 PM, john portala said:

hi 

anyone know where I can get the 90 degree brass fitting on carb going to vacuum advance via metal line

I striped mine?

John

any good automotive parts store such as NAPA or Autozone

Rich

desoto1939@aol.com