Brake drum

ChrisRice
Go to solution Solved by TodFitch,

This may seem like an easy question, but I have to ask anyway. On a 1955 Plymouth, were the brake drums painted black from the factory. I am nearing completion on the new brake system, and it's time for me to decide on the finish for the outside of the drums. I am thinking black caliper paint on the outside and inside (not where the brakes apply, only in inner flat part). Thoughts? Is this close enough to the factory Finnish? I'm not sure.

• Solution

I simply used black enamel on the outside of the drum and nothing on the inside. So far (probably 25 or so years later) most of the black paint is still there. Worn away in spots but mostly there. So I am not sure that special high temperature caliper paint is needed but it can't hurt. The insides of the drums don't have too much rust or dirt as of the last time I checked. Suspect there might be enough grease/lubricant fumes to keep the rust down and the rubbing surface is kept shiny by the shoes.