Shocks to use with Dodge or Ford pickup mounts

BobT-47P15

I had son in law install the Dodge pickup shock mounts......he bought some shocks based on

a number he had seen on here, I think.  I believe he said they normally go on a motor home.

When I drove the car today for the first time since getting it back....it was pretty bouncy.

Which, I presume, means the shock is a bit too stiff.

In searching the forum, I found Monroe 3033 (for a 67-91 Chevy truck);  ProShox, either

sm-500 or 600;  and NAPA 94038.  

Anyone have a shock model they have used and like the results?  

Thanks.......... 

The ones now on the car are yellow, but I don't know the model number.  

DSC09365.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15
  • Like 1

Bob, I too would be interested in this info, although I think that the shocks might be the other way, ie, too soft as if the car feels too bouncy then that to me indicates that the shocks aren't reducing the bounce or slowing it down........also have you connected the front sway bar?........that will also make to car feel very sloppy if not connected.......regards, andyd

Andy.....front sway bar is connected.....fairly new actually.

It's a real short bounce......not a big mushy bounce.     Maybe a "jounce".  You notice every little bump you run over.     Front end sits a little higher than before, too.

If I can't improve upon it eventually, I may go back to the original configuration.  

Edited by BobT-47P15

those are the monroe gas matic shocks....cheap bottom of the line / economy grade. i just purchased the same shocks as listed for a c10 to put in the front of mine...havent driven it since doing the swap.

for it to still be bouncy, i would check to see if the shocks arent already bottomed out. even with an economy grade shock, it should still be decent when new.

edit, short bounce = little travel. sits higher = cant compress much anymore.

i think the shock is bottomed out. i dont see how a shock could make it that much stiffer.

Edited by derek_m

On my 47 I'm using a Chevy pickup shock, and the first time I drove it they felt like a bucket of bolts.  Then I figured out that I had about 1/16" travel before they bottomed out.  Cut and raised the upper shock mount about 2 inches, been a happy camper ever since.

Marty

Please remember that front axle weights will change depending on the engine used!

This may change the part number of the shock that is required. Take the measurements as listed above + the front axle weights.

Then give the information to a shock manufacturer of your choice.

They are the experts afterall.

They will be able to select the correct product for your application.

If you still have your STOCK original shocks, you can compress them completely & measure the eyes center to center, then extend them completely & measure the eyes center to center, you will now have your total travel for that particular shock. I took these measurements from mine, went to NAPA, looked through their big book of shock with one of the "oldtimers" & found exactly what I needed. You have to know what type ends you have on your original shocks.

I had son in law install the Dodge pickup shock mounts......he bought some shocks based on

a number he had seen on here, I think.  I believe he said they normally go on a motor home.

When I drove the car today for the first time since getting it back....it was pretty bouncy.

Which, I presume, means the shock is a bit too stiff.

In searching the forum, I found Monroe 3033 (for a 67-91 Chevy truck);  ProShox, either

sm-500 or 600;  and NAPA 94038.  

Anyone have a shock model they have used and like the results?  

Thanks.......... 

The ones now on the car are yellow, but I don't know the model number.  

DSC09365.jpg

i like these brackets

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at those shocks more carefully today.......they are hitting bottom.  

When I drove the car last Saturday night, they were banging down hard.....no shock absorbing done.

Need what amounts to a shorter shock, I would say   No farther away from the original mount than

that new bracket is......it looks like the original shock would fit.

Anyone have the part number for an original style, original mount shock:?