Lumpy Gets Lowered.

Lumpy

post-6645-0-31853900-1396135114_thumb.jpg

Put my Spring Specialties springs in today. 3" drop, 10% greater spring rate. How's she look?

Test drive was interesting. Handling in general felt much better/improved, and the car handled well to begin with. With the car sitting level, I always had this feeling of not being able to look over the long hood very well. That is 100% improved. The car feels smaller, or "not so big" now.

To top it all off, the tires don't rub on the fenders in a tight turn. Me and Lumpy are pretty happy.

ken.

• Like 1

They were somewhere around $300...$325 seems to stick in my brain. A little more than what others have been discussing on the spring thread, but I'd gladly pay it again. Being able to specify amount of drop, (up to 3") and spring rate was worth a lot to me. The 10% increase in rate, with the shorter spring seems to give it the same ride or ride quality as before, but the body roll/sway seems to be less, and handling seems to be more "crisp" when you put somewhat "aggressive" steering inputs (!!!!) into it. Just handles better, but there's no harsh ride or anything like that.

Again I could not be more satisfied. Again on the price, it seems like some will get a much cheaper set, but then aren't completely satisfied and wind up buying another, which is not so cheap in the long run. Or they just live with it...not good either. I'm not sure that using springs made for another vehicle, even if they give the desired drop, is a good idea...seems like a shot in the dark.

Now I need to come up with reasons to drive Lumpy!

ken.

Now I need to come up with reasons to drive Lumpy!  How about driving it to work. The older cars look so much better when leveled down a couple of inches. Couldn't you have lowered it with lowering blocks and cutting the coil? Or do the specialty springs give better stability?  

Oh yeah, she gets driven to work. She also parks close to the street, so the whole world gets to see her. :) I work at a high school, and she's quite popular with the students. I guess I should have said: "MORE reasons to drive Lumpy"!!

There seems to be more than a couple ways to lower, but I really do think that these springs that are made especially for the car is the way to go. The handling/stability is perfect, and that seems to be an issue with cutting springs, not getting a good ride anymore. And then depending on the individual springs, it's kind of hit-n-miss as to how much cut gives how much drop.

Just realized that the name of the company is actually "coil spring specialties".

Well thanks!

ken.

Oh yeah, she gets driven to work. She also parks close to the street, so the whole world gets to see her. :) I work at a high school, and she's quite popular with the students. I guess I should have said: "MORE reasons to drive Lumpy"!!

There seems to be more than a couple ways to lower, but I really do think that these springs that are made especially for the car is the way to go. The handling/stability is perfect, and that seems to be an issue with cutting springs, not getting a good ride anymore. And then depending on the individual springs, it's kind of hit-n-miss as to how much cut gives how much drop.

Just realized that the name of the company is actually "coil spring specialties".

Well thanks!

ken.

I agree Ken. I'd say you did it right and the coil cutters are taking a cheap shortcut.

ok so  you had  springs made to lower the car,kool  ,,how much  space do you have between the top of the lower control arm and the  frame or the bump stop ??  im  installing  stock  size coils and a fat man  dropped up right  it would be good to compare the differences to help otheres decide which way to go,,,,

I will crawl under and see...as I didn't take note of that. Might have been afraid to look! However, I've driven it a bit since, and it's going over the dips and bumps same as ever, it is not bottoming out. And again, handling has improved, not that the car did not handle good before. Less body roll/sway, and feels "crisp" now.

I think the Fat Man is the better way to go for sure. I don't doubt that if you have the extra time and money, one should go with dropped spindles, with a complete kit such as the Fat Man. I think the second best way is using shorter springs made especially for the car, third best probably using new springs, made for another car but of the right length, and fourth cutting old weak and worn out (!!!) coils that will then be further stressed, and wind up with a strange and weak spring rate that is not going to ride good. !!!

Lowering the lower spring perch would also make sense, and shouldn't decrease the distance between the bump-stop and the frame. ??

ken.

Ha, crawled under and noticed that my rubber bumps are gone...didn't really notice when I did the springs. Looks like I only have (did not measure, just guessing) about 4-4.5" of suspension travel, which sounds minimal, but I've driven it quite a bit and it does not bottom out. I suppose if I abused it it would, but I don't abuse Lumpy.

Back in the day, when Lumpy was new, I know the roads were really bad, and a LOT of suspension travel was probably pretty important. I think she's good for today's roads, and the gentle way that I drive the old gal. If I do hit a super bad pot-hole or fly over a speed bump at 45mph, I don't think it will hurt anythng, just mostly make a lot of noise and SOUND like I hurt something. ?? 

ken.

I've become pretty good at dodging them. (ha! "Dodge", get it?) I have an old rigid frame motorcycle, and you REALLY don't want to hit a bad pot-hole with that. !!!

k.

I've become pretty good at dodging them. (ha! "Dodge", get it?) I have an old rigid frame motorcycle, and you REALLY don't want to hit a bad pot-hole with that. !!!

k.

I have heard a good bit about the hard tail and soft tail motorcycles. But my personal preference is still a split tail.

• Like 1

Yep I think the hardtail went out in the early 1950's. !!!! I'm a bit behind the times. I'm not sure how to comment on the split-tail....going to leave that one alone...other than to say that they are the most dangerous, and expensive.

k.

• Like 1

Yep I think the hardtail went out in the early 1950's. !!!! I'm a bit behind the times. I'm not sure how to comment on the split-tail....going to leave that one alone...other than to say that they are the most dangerous, and expensive.

k.

Ken, sorry to stay OT.......as far as Harley BT's, '57 was the last rigid frame, '58 & later were swing arms (Duo Glides). Derek

That's okay, many of those factoids I can't remember, so I just kind of wing it. My Harley knowledge is more in the '36 to '48 range! I'll move that up to the front of the memory bank.

ken.

I'm surprised that you needed a spring compressor, my stock, full length springs came right out. Did you drop the lower A-arm with the four bolts, which are inboard, or did you leave that connected and just separate it at the spindle, and outboard of the A-arms? I did mine just doing the four bolts, and then letting the lower A-arm swing down, and out.  

I think the extra effort you are putting will be well worth it.

k.